What's new

Connectors for Polk Speakers (5 Way Gold Binding Posts) (1 Viewer)

MickP

Auditioning
Hello.

I am about to finally place my order - took me some six months to get here. Last question I still am not 100% certain about but it should be an easy one.

I am ordering:

Onkyo SR600 Receiver

Polk Csi400 Center speaker

Polk RT55I Fronts

Stands for fronts

Monster XP 16 Gauge wire

I may be bi-wiring these in the near future but not immediately. The rears will be RT35i but that's next month.

So, here's the quesiton:

What should I do about connectors?

I have it narrowed down to Monster mini twist on pins @ $12 for 4 pairs.

or

Monster mini twist on bananas @ $12 for 2 pairs.

Both are designed to work with Monster XP 14 guage wire.

I not certain which would be better for my binding posts though. The Polk speakers all have dual 5 way gold plated binding posts and the Onkyo receiver also uses 5 way binding posts for "all main room speakers" as per Crutchfield's website.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Mick,speaking from experance I would not go with pins of any form with the polks & I would stay away from twist on anything. I have the CS400i,& all RT55i's for the rest of my speakers & bought twist on pins the first time & was pissed at my self for doing so.
Reason being 1 the pins will not stay in very well & also will not hold the shorting bar down very tight if even at all 2 the twist on connectors will not hold onto the wires very well I had to solder mine to get them to stay in,if ya ask me I dont know why monster even makes these things.
If I was you I would go with banana plugs CRIMP style they will hold much better than the pins,that I what I now use & Im much happer with these.:emoji_thumbsup:

I have rt800, rt55 and cs400- I have found that the cheap banana plugs at Radio Shack are great. Gold plated and everything, no different from Monster Cable version and less than 1/2 price. Very sturdy connections.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I just stuck the wires into the holes in the binding posts, tightend the nuts by hand and fired them mothers up! :D

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I use compression style bananas that you can buy at Radio Shack, or the AR brand at Lowe's which I think are cheaper. I used pins in my old Polks, and while they never came out they sure seemed like they might. Banana plugs just work so well I love 'em. They look a bit like this:
Link Removed
Link Removed
In this instance I'm bi-wiring and soldering the wires in place. Typically what you do is pull the wire strands over the collar, then screw the plug on tight. If you do it right, you can't pull the wire out without a lot of effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks