Connector quality...

JoseLH

Agent
Does it make THAT huge of a difference using expensive RCA connectors over cheaper ones? I'm looking for some for my component cables. They will be behind wall plates and not visible. Does it matter if I buy some average ones from Radio shack? I wanted to order some from parts express but it just seems pointless to pay shipping on these things. It adds to about what I'd pay for some locally. What should I do?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes it does make a difference. RCA plugs are actually a crappy connector for high-frequency video signals. Most professional gear uses BNC connectors and even the cheap-as-dirt "F" connector is superior. The better RCA connectors made a measureable difference for progressive-scan video (when progressive-scan DVD players first came out) and this was not even HD video.

(Think of these plugs as a speed-bump in the wires. Not a big deal for low-frequency, standard video. Bit of a problem for faster progressive video. Deadly for HD video).

I dont recommend using wall-plates with female RCA connectors. Use BNC wall-plates and order custom cables with BNC on one side and RCA on the other. Fairly good HD component cables start at about $45 from the custom web-sites like www.bluejeanscables.com with these.

Hope this helps.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39