What's new

Connections for Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Brad Gable

Grip
Hi All,

My new home theater system was just delivered so now I am in the process of hooking everything up. I wanted to explain how I planned to hook it up to make sure it is the proper way and that I am getting the most out of the system.

First I will list the equipment then the proposed connections.

Pioneer Elite PRO-730 RPTV
Yamaha RX-Z1 Receiver
Yamaha C-920 DVD
Kenwood Multi Disk CD J1070
B&W Front Center and Surround Speakers.
No VCR or Satellite at this time however I am currently looking into getting a satellite receiver with TIVO.

Now for the connections:

I am planning to use the receiver to do the switching of all signals if possible.

DVD

Connect the component video out to the component dvd in on the the receiver and the optical audio out the the digital dvd in on the receiver.

CD (Analog only output. It is an older model.)
Connect the Analog output on from the cd player to the analog input of the receiver.

TV
Connect the component output from the receiver to the component input (1) on the tv. Then connect the Audio output of the tv to the audio input on the receiver. I was also planning to run an S-Video cable from the receiver monitor out to the S-Video input (2) on the TV. This will allow for on screen control of the receiver. Then of course I will attach the coax cable to antenna A for the TV signal.

So now the questions. First does this seem logical and is it the best way to hook everything up. Second, should I worry about connecting the remote in/out cable between the units. I am not really sure what this will buy me if anything. Also I should mention that the receiver came with a RAV-2000 remote so I am planning to control it all with the one remote.

Thanks for taking the time to respond as I appreciate any and all advice.

Brad

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Brad, Wow! Thats a great list of equipment. Will you adopt me? :)
Here is my advice, (often worth what you paid for it):
RACK LAYOUT:
Put the recevier on the BOTTOM shelf of your rack. Put the items you interact with (dvd, cd) on the top shelves. Leave middle shelves open for your sat receiver/vcr. It can be DVD/CD storage for now.
This lets those heavy speaker wires flow out with minimal drop/stress and you dont have to fight the wires to reach the other components. It also makes the equipment convient to use.
VIDEO CONNECTIONS:
Dont run your video through the receiver. While that Z1 can handle progressive/HD video, you only have 1 source. There is nothing to "switch".
Instead of 2 cables, buy one good HD rated component cable set. Places like www.bettercables.com are great for this. Run straight from the DVD player to the TV.
I like your thinking about SVideo. You can ALSO run SVideo from the DVD player through the receiver to the TV. When you add your PVR (Personal Video Recorder) later, it will have SVideo and you simply plug it into the receiver.
So you will have SVideo as you 'basic' connection through the receiver. This will make the system easy to use for spouse/kids. But when you sit down for serious movie watching, take the extra step and flip over to the direct DVD feed for the video.
LATER: When you add a second box that provides Component/HD video then you re-wire to run these signals through the receiver.
The Remote In/Out: I'm not familar with what this does. One system simply powers everything on when it senses any device powered up. Some other systems will act like a remote extension. For the moment, dont connect it.
AUDIO: Try going to Radio Shack and buying a set of their MegaCable dual-banana plugs. Part #278-308 Take 1 set home and see if they fit your speakers. These plugs make it simple to do a neat, strong connection to your speakers.
The dual plugs are also great for behind the receiver, but add about 3" to the back. This may be too much for you so check out the single bananas from Radio Shack #278-306.
It's VERY important to do a neat/clean wire job to the speakers. You are using 12 ga wire, right? Without using the bananas, you have a chore trying to insert wire without leaving strands of copper sticking out to cause a short later. This would be bad.
Hope this helps.
PS: While you are at Radio Shack, pick up the Analog SPL meter for about $40. Read the "FAQ" for how to calibrate/level adjust your speakers. The FAQ also contains tips on speaker placement and alignment.

Brad Gable

Grip
Thanks Bob for the info and advice. I think I will do it the way you suggest and can rewire to use the receiver to do the switching when I add a HD tuner to the TV. I have not looked closely at the PVR yet but it sounds like they only support S-Video connections. Or will some support component connections.
Also I will be running 12 ga wire to all speakers. Thanks for the tip on the Banana Plugs. I did pick up the SPL meter from radio shack and the AVIA DVD to help with the calibrations.
Thanks again for the help however after making the payment on this stuff not sure I can afford to adopt anyone. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
PVR yet but it sounds like they only support S-Video connections
True. But SVideo is quite good if the source is good. (The Mpeg2 encoding uses SVideo internally.) To offer Component output the Sat receiver would have to add an extra filter, but you already have one in your TV and this filter has an easier job.
Now you have some up-coming choices that might cause you to re-wire to run component through your receiver:
- XBox: this thing offers progressive scan output of games.
- HDTV Decoder This will decode off-the-air HD signals if you are lucky enough to be line-of-sight to a source.
- HD Sat Decoder: This is the way most people get their HD programming.
- HD VCR: Yes, you can now buy a VCR that will let you tape some HD programming for later use. Runs about $600-$900
- HD PVR: Yes, these things are in the planning stages from places like Dish Network. It will allow you to record high-def signals for later playback.
So you may get to multiple component sources in the next year. :) Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks