Connections for HD Projector and Plasma displays

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CRyan, Jan 14, 2003.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

About to start a new home construction and need a little advice. I have been reading a little too much here lately and my head hurts from all the decisions and research.

So what wiring do I need to consider for these? The projetor will be in one room and the plasma will be in another. However, The DVD player, Satellite receivers, and possible HTPC in the future will be in the same room with the projector. So how long can the runs be to the plasma set in the other room?

I have right at $5000 to drop on a *new* projector within four months. What should I be looking at? I will be able to completely control lighting, but would not mind being able to see the picture in a low light situation.

What specific models should I consider in this price range and is there anything new coming in the next four months that I should look toward?

Is DVI now a must for HDTV?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Specific cabling may depend on the projector you end up choosing but....
    - 5 cable component (Y, Cr, Cb and 2 HD sync cables)
    - S-video
    - Composite Video (in case you want to hook in a VCR or something)
    - Perhaps a second set of component cables for a second DVD player or other source.
    - DVI cable
    For the ~$5K pricepoint, my personal favourites are the Nec HT1000 DLP, Sanyo PLV70, Boxlite 20HD

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Ok. I know that the main reason for going front projection is the size. However, considering my $5000 budget, I am concerned about downgrading picture quality from my current 65" Mits HD set. What are the opinions on this?

This projector will be used almost exclusively for DVD and HD. Should I wait till I can afford something more? Is the picture going to be noticeably worse than my current set when viewing HD?

What about this native 4:3 issue with the HT1000? I mean my future projecture will barely ever see a 4:3 image.

C. Ryan

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Downgrade? Hogwash. Highdef on a decent projector will blow you away.

Do yourself a favour and get some demos done when you get the chance. If the majority of your viewing will be widescreen then you are in the same boat I am in. A 16x9 setup (projector and screen) will be advantageous to you then. Look at the ones that are WXGA 1280x720 (mostly DLP) and 1366x768 (LCD).

See if you can get a demo of either the Boxlite 20HD or the Sanyo PLV70 for starters anyway.