What's new

Connection to a TV/VCR (1 Viewer)

Derek*H

Auditioning
Hi,

I bought a new DVD player (JVC-XVS500BK) which I hooked up to our Panasonic TV/VCR unit in the bedroom. When we watched "From Hell" last night, I noticed a problem I immediately recognized as copyguard color flashing. Is there any simple way to circumvent this? We're not trying to tape it, just watch it. The TV/VCR was a convenience for many years but I cannot afford to just buy a new TV at this time but I'd like to be able to watch DVD's on my TV/VCR unit.

I've obviously seen the small video stabilizer units that are sold for "better picture quality" but do those work on today's DVD copyguards?

Any ideas on this matter would be most appreciated.

Derek

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Welcome Derek,

Sorry to say, you will need to keep the two devices hooked up seperately. The VCR will always reek havoc when you play DVD's (as you've seen)because of the copy guard todays VCR's have built into them. You may find one of those "magic boxes" to aleviate it, but they're really not worth it in the long run.

You'll just have to run the DVD and the VCR seperately to the TV..you may need to buy a cheap video switcher from Best Buy if your TV only has one input.

Good luck!
Alfer

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I am assuming you are hooking the DVD player to your TV/VCR through the RCA Cables, which of course sets off the copy protection problem. I am wondering though if the TV has a separate Antenna on the back. (A little wire with 2 screws). If so, there may be a way to hook the RCA out from your DVD to that with an adapter of sorts...though I'm probably wrong on this it's worth looking into.

Derek*H

Auditioning
Thanks for the input all! I will try hooking up the DVD through the RF input instead. Obviously I'm not concerned with picture quality here, just want to watch it.

After I go to RS, I'll pick up a Lotto ticket and if I win, get one of those neat Sharp LCD's! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks