Connection Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffWilson, Dec 15, 2001.

1. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

I am trying to connect my JVC XV523 DVD player to my Onkyo 575x receiver (I love both!) and i have a few questions. I HAD already had this working but now we had the wires run behind the wall and into our basement and I have a bunch of new issues.

1) I would now need about 25 ft of cable to connect the 2 and I am not aware of a digital coax cable that long. Is there an optical that long? I hear digital coax is a touch better, but dont want to opent hat debate now. I just need to connect these 2 any way that I can with the wires hidden.

2) I notice that my DVD manual say s that "When you make the digital connection, also make the analog connection, because depending on the disc type, no audio may be reproduced from the DIGITAL OUT." Is this true? I have listened to several DVD's with ONLY the Digital connected (temporarily...with the wire VISIBLE..perish the thought!) and so far I have heard everything.

I think that's it for now. I had NO idea what a pain running the wires inside the walls would be. I have no attic and they had to go to the basement and up thru the baseboard. The electricians had 2 men for 5 hours!

Any help on this would be GREATLY appeciated. I am new to this forum and already love the advice I read here. Thanks again!

Jeff Wilson

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I think I can answer part of your question. The digital connection from the DVD to the receiver works only for Dolby Digital (and perhaps DTS). Not every DVD is Dolby Digital, although most are.

As for the cable length, can't help you there. However, I think that beyond a certain point there are losses. I don't know what the reasonable limits are.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

1) You should use coax for a run that long since it will be more durable. A good 75 Ohm shielded wire like those used for video will be fine.

2) You should only need to have the digital out connected to get audio from the DVD player. Anything you put in there from DVDs to CDs will output from the digital connection. If the DVD has Dolby Digital, you'll get that. If it only has DTS and PCM, you select the PCM and listen to that.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface Format) calls for you to use a 75 ohm cable to go between the DVD player and the receiver.
    Guess what? Every video cable is 75 ohms. And all the CATV coax, both RG6 and RG59 - made from 75 ohm coax. You just need a long VIDEO cable.
    So you can just go down and buy 25 feet of RG6 CATV coax (with the F connectors already installed) and slap some "F-to-RCA" adaptors on each end. Some people do this to run the audio from a PC in one room to the receiver in the other. Total cost: $12.
    A more elegant solution is to click on the banner for www.bettercables.com and get them to make you a custom video cable out of soft, flexable coax by Belden or Canare and good quality RCA plugs on each end. It wont SOUND any better for digital over the CATV stuff, but it looks/feels great and is nicer to work with than weatherproof stuff.
    Good Luck.

5. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Thanks to both replies...things are a bit more clear. Jus tone more question: I only have 2 choices on my DVD for VIDEO OUT. On eis a Optical cable and the other is a Coax DIGITAL. The Coax digital does not have an F-connector so I am a bit confused about using a 75 ohm F connector cable for the DIGITAL OUT for audio. I am now not worried about the ANALOG cable but still need to run a 25 foot long cable from DVD to receiver. Thanks again for the help!

Jeff

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

to reitrate Bob Mc:

You buy a 25-ft 75ohm cable from Radio Shack that comes with F-connectors at each end, or like I did, I had my pro stereo shop cut a run in white/ivory (if you don't want standard black) and crimp on the F-connectors (for $8) incl the following:

You buy two F-conn to RCA adapters to connect from your amp to whatever: DVD-Amp or Amp-SUBWOOFER.

7. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Sorry to be really dense, but my Digital out does not have F connectors. Only plugs. To reiterate, I am trying to run my DIGITAL OUT from my DVD to my receiver. It appears that I ONLY have two choices; Digital Coax (And this does NOT have an F-connector-only an RCA plug, and OPTICAL. Once again, sorry if I am totally missing the boat on this but I dont see anyplace to use an F connector. Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

8. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jeff,

just use the "F-to-RCA" adapters, so that you will connect the adapters to both ends of the RC6 Coax. both ends will then have RCA connectors, which is exactly what you need.

ReceiverRCA/F adapter25' RG6 coax w/F-connectorsF/RCA adapterDVD player

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jeff: The terms ARE confusing.
    You said:

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Jeff, here are the adapters that Bob and the others are talking about.
    Good luck!

11. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

OK...First off, thanks to everyone! All I need to do is get a 25 ft coax and slap a few adapters on the end to plug into my RCA jacks! EASY! Is RG6 the best? Will it give me a slightly lesser quality than my digital coax cable that I spent a fortune on? (I would think so) It took me a while but I finally got it! Thanks to everyone who responded. This really is a great forum. You guys are all patient, knowledgable and friendly!

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jeff: The RG6 cable should give you identical performance to the expensive "Digital Cable" you bought.

The cable industry has tried to make people feel like the digital signals are somehow "special" and you need a special/(read expensive/high-profit) cable.

The truth is: digital is much more robust than analog.

Can you tell what type of computer I am working on? Can you tell if I am on a modem, Direct internet, sat connection? No. Because Digital signals are insensitive & hides all this.

Here is another example:

You are at the dinner table with a bunch of family/friends. You draw, free-hand a picture of something and pass it to the next person. This person tries to draw a copy and pass his copy to the next and it goes around the table. Eventually you get back something that looks quite different from what it started. This is kind of like an Analog signal - every part of the path changes it a bit.

Do this again, but this time you write free-hand: "112233".

What will you get back? "112233"

This is like a Digital signal. The size/shape/color/font does not matter. The information is ENCODED. It survives passing through lots of hands with no loss.

So you are worried that the CATV coax solution is a little too "low end"?

Your best bet is to then contact one of the custom web sites and order a 25 foot VIDEO cable. You dont need/want the high-end, just good quality coax with 75 ohm connectors.

Good Luck.

13. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Jeff,

Bob is right-on in his advice here.

Radio Shack is a good place to get the materials you need. They have the F to RCA adapters and they also have great pre-made 25 ft and 50 ft and 100 ft double shielded RG6 coax with F's installed on the ends for satellite installations. Get the kind for inside use and you're ready to go...

brucek

14. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Once again...thanks very much to everyone. I am running over to Radio Shack as soon as I confirm my measurement from my DVD to my receiver. Although I am happy, my wife will be THRILLED! So I guess I thank you for her also. (Why do women hate seeing wires or cables so much?) Have a great holiday.