What's new

Connection Questions (1 Viewer)

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
My questions concern wiring my HT. From what I've understood, it's a good idea for max video/audio quality to minmize the number of connection between the A/V source and the output device (i.e., hook the video of a DVD player directly to the TV, rather than first to the receiver and then to the TV). I've heard there's less potential for signal degradation if done this way. If this true in general, or does it depend on the quality of the receiver? Also, if a audio source only has normal RCA outputs, do most receivers upconvert the sound to digital, or can the receiver only "do it's best" to try to replicate a digital effect? Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you have enough inputs on your TV for your sources, unless you WANT to, there is no real reason to have the receiver in the video loop. As far as degradation goes, if it is just switching, most receivers are good enough at this these days.

You are correct, without a digital input from the source, the receiver cannot "upconvert" to DD or DTS like true discrete surround. You would instead be using a DSP (PLII, PLIIx, DTS NEO6, Logic7, Circle Surround, etc...) to simulate surround, as you said, as best as it can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks