What's new

Connection question OPPO 95 with ANTHEM AVM30 via RCA/XLR (1 Viewer)

etuoce007

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik
I need help with advise on cables. I just picked up a used ANTHEM AVM30 and connected to my OPPO95. I am using a classe 300 for the two front channels and stereo ( I still really enjoy good quality stereo) and a classe ca75 six channel for center (2 bridged channels) and surrounds in a 5.1 set up. The HDMI goes directly from the OPPO to the TV (AVM30 does not have HDMI) and for now I am using coax for the connection AVM30 to the OPPO but I want to set it up for 2 channel with the 2 XLR out to the ANTHEM (direct mode) and with 6 RCA's analog out for movies using the DAC of the OPPO which I think will be better then the ANTHEM's. I have 3 sets of 2 older cables of the same length with RCA connectors, a Berkendorf & dresen 0.9L/3.0 50ohm set , a TARA labs prism set and monster cable m950I set. These are dating back to the stone age ( read stereo days) and certainly the first 2 sets were pricey. Can I use these 3 sets as RCA connectors for 6 channels analog from the OPPO to the ANTHEM or should they all be the same/upgraded? If a change is the way to go what do you recommend? Also, what XLR connect cables would you recommend for listening to direct stereo? Last but not least, the music from my NAS is currently streamed wirelessly via my AT&T/U-verse routers to the OPPO, am I loosing sound quality compared to hardwire cat5, if I were crazy enough to drill a bunch of holes through several walls and 1 floor ? Just curious. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry to say I don't know much at all about XLR cables or uber-expensive analog inter-connects, but when I had my OPPO 83se hooked up to an H/K 7200 I used two sets of component video cables. They work just as well for audio and are dirt cheap with the advent of hdmi. The two I used were both from Acoustic Research These http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/PR190/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-Pr190-Pro-Ii-Series-Component-Video-Cable-3-Ft/1.html And these http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MS290/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-Ms290-Master-Series-Component-Video-Cable-3-Ft/1.html But I'm sure the mix/match cables you have would also work just fine. If you think one pair has an advantage over the others then use that pair for the fronts.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You may have differences in the mix and match cables but with multiple channels going it is going to be a hard thing to discern. bluejeanscable.com diycable.com and empircaldesign.net are 3 (among many) that probably have not outrageously priced cables of decent quality. While I buy some things (since I am a sick audiophile), I make many of my own cables are many products are just silly expensive. When I was more actively buy materials and making cables, I actually had friends sell very expensive cabling after hearing mine. Anything in high end audio has diminishing returns and cables vs. things like room treatments are not likely to give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
etuoce007 said:
Also, what XLR connect cables would you recommend for listening to direct stereo?
You want cables with either Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors. Check a pro-audio site like Sweetwater or Markertek. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks