Connection Queries??? Please help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daman, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi Everyone,
    My first post in this part of the forum [​IMG] i need your advise and help on how to connect my reciever and my dvd sources.. well to begin with this is regarding audio connections. My reciever has only 2 digital input options - one is coaxial which is for CD and other is Optical- for DVD. Now i have 2 DVD sources- one is my 5 disc changer DVD player from Sony- this has both coaxial as well as Optical output option. Other is Sony PS2 which has only Optical output,
    as of now ive taken optical outputs from both the players and switch the wires when i want to play a dvd or game. I wanted to ask what if i ran the coaxial output from the DVD player to the reciever CD digital coaxial input?? Would it work? Would i still get the correct signals etc?? Or is the other option of having 2 optical cables and changing the hookup each time the only option? Please Help!!
    Thanks a ton!
    Daman

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Simple,
    Run the 5 disc DVD coax to receiver, then run the optical from the PS2 to the optical of the receiver, and then use regular analog cables (Red, White plugs) to hook up your CD player.

Simple as that. [​IMG]

p.s. Welcome!

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks Alf but the point here is the Digital Coax input of my reciever says its for CD?? So would putting a Coax from the DVD player to it work?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Good question. I think it would – the receiver should have an indicator to show if it is working on Dolby Digital mode. As long as it comes on, you’re in business. Naturally, you'd have to set the CD input for Dolby Digital surround sound - hopefully it will let you do that.

Keep in mind, however, that you’ll have to run the DVD’s video straight to the TV.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt