What's new

Connection problem (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I'm a little confused and need someones help. I just purchased a Panasonic TH-50PX50U plasma tv. I'm very pleased with the set,but for some reason I can't seem to get the dvd player to connect properly. I have tried every way the manual suggests , but I get nothing. With my old set(an RCA) you had to set the tv channel to 91 to get a picture with the dvd player. Is there a particular channel I need to key in with this set or I am just totally missing something? I'm more than a little frustrated about this because I have hooked up all my own equipment in the past with no problem. So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it .:frowning:

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The TV remote should have some buttons marked "source" or "input" or "video" or "AV". These buttons select the "auxiliary" inputs as opposed to TV channels. Generally which input is which is marked next to the TV input jacks for example one yellow, white, red combination may be labeled "video 1".

The cluster with red, green, blue, red, white (component video; don't confuse the Pr red jack with the right channel audio red jack) gives the best picture provided the player has matching output jacks. The TV S-video input (a black jack) together with red and white audio is next best and almost all DVD players have matching output jacks.

(If you are using a separate sound system you would leave the red and white audio input jacks on the TV empty.)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To add to what Allan has already said, assuming that your Panasonic has the same remote as my 37" version (TH-37PX50U) then the button you are looking for is the "TV/VIDEO" button which is 3 down from the red power button on the left side of the remote. This button will cycle through all the input choices and display a box on the screen. There is no need (nor is it advised) to go through any tuner so channel choices do not apply here. And also assuming that your set has the same inputs as mine does you are going to choose either input [2] (Component 1) or input [3] (Component 2) if you use component cables to connect your DVD player (recommended) or input [5] (Video 1) or input [6] (Video 2) if you use S-Video or composite (yellow jack) connections to your DVD player.

Another nice thing about the Panasonics is the ability to rename the inputs to whatever you like once the connection has been made. I've labelled Input [2] "DVD" to make it clear what the source material is going into that input (Component 1).

I would avoid using composite connections to the DVD since that produces the poorest picture by far. You can also use the HDMI jack if your DVD player has a HDMI output but then you might run into a problem if you already have another HDMI source (like an HD satellite or cable box).

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks