What's new

connection help with new DA5ES (2 Viewers)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have also posted this in basics but am posting here because several weeks ago I received no response on this in basic.

I have a new DA5ES, JVC HIFI vcr, RCA satellite(S-vid and opt out),Tosh 2800 DVD player, Sony KV35V65 TV, and local programming from attic antenna.

I want to run everything through receiver. I have purchased two composite to s-video adapters from parts express for all to run s-video.

My concern is how to hook up sat, local, and vcr together. I want to record satellite onto vcr(see my hockey games).

Satelitte has ant in as does vcr and tv. I already have sat and dvd with s-vid to receiver and s-video from receiver to imput one one tv.

My Sony has 1 back s-vid, 1 front s-vid, and another set of composite in back.

The way I want to do it, do I need to use vcr to see local and will I get sat on channel 3 also(although i know it will be better on sat source from receiver)?

Please help because it will help me use DA5ES remote as opposed to my Sony AVR 2100 which I am getting tired of.

Oh yes, I will use both optical out on dvd and satellite to receiver.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Dan, I may be able to help you out as I have the same reciver but I'm not quite sure as to what you are trying:confused: If I understand you right the only thing you wont is to recorde off your sat to your VHS but you wont everything to go through the reciver correct?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Joe, I would like to record off sat and local tv. And yes I do want everything to go through receiver.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
Have you tried hooking it up yet? I put my DA5es together the other night with my VCR in Video 1. Video 1 has an input (from the VCR) and an output. Did you hook it up that way?

Hooking it up that way they VCR plays through the reciever. I have not tested the recording of the signal, but I bet that it records whatever source is selected. For example, if you're watching the sat. via the receiver and hit record on the VCR, it should be recording that signal. When you've selected the VCR, it will not be getting a signal "in" from the receiver.

I am not sure but there may be an issue with you using the digital inputs and trying to record non-digitally with your VCR. If you can record a picture but get no sound, you'll need to also hook up the analog, sound connections (I think the S-video should already be converted to composite).

Another thing that might work is to hook your VCR in to the Zone 2 out (which has video). That way you can watch the satellite while recording a DVD. You could also use PIP if you took the cable-out of your VCR and hooked that to your TV, too. I have read, but not experimented that the zones do not convert the digital sound to analog. Another way if you're looking for PIP is just to hook the cable out from your sat. and put it "in" to your VCR.

Hope this helps,

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I am not really sure how it is hooked up now other than dvd player and sat are going thru receiver, and vcr is coming off sat with ant into sat and vcr. A friend of mine hooked it up 1 year ago with my old Sony and I just hooked up( I have a huge armoir that make connections very difficult) the new Sony to existing wires. I use macro on remote commander to watch local and vcr.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Do you do timed recording on the vcr? I think recording to the vcr on the receiver would be analagous to hooking up a cassette tape deck. You have audio out from each source to the input on the receiver and audio out on the vcr input to the vcr (same for video in/outs).

But like Warren said, the vcr will tape what source you have selected. Not sure if you can split the outputs so you can have different inputs going to the vcr and tv simultaneously.

If you are using the timer on the vcr, and if you have appropriate antenna to the vcr (like cable) you can probably set the vcr to either record a tv channel or an external input. But I don't think you will have any control of switching the input that the receiver is set to. Ie, if you are taping satellite and thesatellite video out only goes to the 5es then the 5es better be on satellite when the vcr is taping.

Help? Otherwise send an email.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Dan: Does your receiver have OUTPUTS for the VCR device? If so, run cables from these plugs to the INPUTS on your VCR. Now your VCR will "see" whatever signal the receiver is set to.

But... this means you MUST have the receiver on to record shows.

Notice the back of your DSS. My guess is you have un-used outputs. You can run a simple coax cable from the DSS box to the VCR. Then you just program the receiver to record the shows and leave the DSS box tuned to the channel that will display the show.

A much, much better solution is to upgrade your DSS receiver to one with recording capabilities built-in. This gives you the absolute best picture and most convient recording. (My VCR is gathering dust at the moment because of this). If you are a DISH subscriber, they are offering the PVR 501 for $199 to existing customers. Highly recommended.

(Ever miss a play? Ever wish you could just jump back 10 seconds - these units give you this power.)

Direct has a "DirectTivo" unit that does the same thing.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks