What's new

Connection help needed. (1 Viewer)

Dan D Burke

Agent
Hello all! bear with me on this one.

Here’s my system: Denon 682, Mitsubishi DD 4030 DVD with component out, digital coax s-video and optical out, JVC 32320 TV with component, and s-video and a Hughs Direct TV box with s-video and a RCA video jack.

The way I have it set up is the s-video from DVD to receiver and optical to the reciver, Direct TV to the receiver via s-video and the receiver TV out to the TV. An antenna is used for local stations connected directly to the TV. The way it is now I can only hear over-the-air on the TV and direct TV only through the HT system. I want to be able to have it connected so I can listen to direct TV through the TV speaker or the HT system and the local broadcasts the same way. How should I connect this to achieve what I want?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
in addition to your current connections, connect your D* receiver audio output to the TV via rca connectors and if your tv is so equiped, connect the it's audio outputs to the receiver.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dan. Welcome to HTF! :)

While I understand your desire to be able to bypass the receiver, you are creating a bit of an operational nightmare. This will not create a spouse/kid friendly system.

But if you really want to do this, read on.

Run some CATV Coax from the jack on the DirectTV receiver straight to the CATV input on the TV. If your TV has dual antenna inputs then your antenna becomes ANT A and the sat system becomes ANT B.

This allows you to watch antenna/sat without turning on the receiver.

You might also check your DirectTV manual. Many of these units allow you to connect an antenna/CATV feed to the Sat receiver so you only use 1 input on the TV. But this means you must turn on the Sat receiver to watch either.

A more typical/easier to use system does this:

- Run SVideo from everything to the receiver.

- Use a VCR for the antenna/CATV channels to feed the receiver if you dont have a CATV box.

Suddenly you have 3 devices to turn on to do anything, but this is actually easy. The TV and Receiver turn on/off + whatever source you want to watch. Remotes with macro buttons can be programmed to do:

- Turn on receiver, pause
- Turn on TV, pause
- Turn on device XXX
- Change receiver to view device XXX
- Change buttons on remote to control device XXX

In your case you would program 2 buttons: one for the Sat receiver, one for the DVD player. Something like the One-For-All Cinema 7 for about $25 would do all this.

Hope this helps.

Dan D Burke

Agent
Thanks Bob! No spouse and the kids are gone, only the cat is left.:) I did as Frank suggested. I'll try what you have suggested and see how I like that. I've tried, in the past, to run the antenna through the direct TV box but the signal was weak. I don't have a vcr as I see no need for one at the moment. I plan on getting a learning remote soon.

Thanks for the welcome and help.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks