What's new

Connection Help needed-Please Help (1 Viewer)

Mark__T

Agent
Hi all

Just got the following set up:
(I am fairly new to this so please don't laugh or yell at me if I get the lingo or other things wrong)
Panasonic PT-40LC12 Multi-Media Wide Screen Projection Display

Pioneer VSX-D711 Receiver

Panasonic DVD-RP62

Harmon Kardon HKTS 5 Speakers.

What I have set up so far is:
Monster Digital Fiber Optic cable from DVD optical Out to
Optical in on the receiver

Monster Video2 cable from DVD Component Video Out to
TV Component Video In(1)

Now what I have left-besides the speaker wires-is 2 Monster Interlink 400 MKII cables and a standard set of RCA cables that came with the DVD player. I see where 1 end of the interlink cable could fit into the sub but I'm not sure where the other end should go or where/if the other interlink cable should go.

The salespeople told me they gave me all the cables I will need for a proper set up.

Now for the question on the Motorola DCT2244/1161/ABCDEFG digital cable box. It has an RF-Bypass box-whatever that means. But currently all I have is the cable from the wall into the cable box and a regular screw-in cable out to the back of the TV. Now there are RCA plug openings for Aux Audio in and Audio out and Video on the back of the box. Should some of my connections be rerouted through the box?
If so which ones exactly and where should they go. Do I need to get more cables? It just doesn't seem right for only standard screw-in cables connecting the box to the TV.

All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Welcome to the Forum!
This may take you awhile, so be patient, and understand you may get a lot of tips taking different routes.
First, I imagine that long Monster interlink (I wonder why TWO?) will be your sub cable: One RCA plug goes to sub amp's L input (either one is ok; usually you don't need two RCAs here.) The other RCA plug goes to the Pioneer's SUB OUT jack. Set the sub amp volume 1/2 to 3/4 full and adjust sub level with Pioneer's sub level control via the remote.
Dump the cables that come in the box: just too puny...
Get a RatShack Sound Pressure Level meter (analog $39) and consider the Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc, $19 or less, via amazon, barnes & noble etc.
Take a look at these HOOKUP schemes on Monster's website to get more familiar.
The digital cabletv presents you (black) coax with F-Terminals (what you call screw-in) and going into the set top box and out to the tv's RF or F-terminal input is typical for systems without an AV receiver.
There is much disappointments online from digital cabletv users who prefer the superior S-Video cabling and true, single-cable audio coax features, but are not offered them by the cable company's box like you have.
Ultimately, you may go for full video switching thru the Pioneer AVR -- it has all the connections.
First decision will be using COMPONENT (three) cables for best DVD video signal either into the tv direct (audio still goes to receiver) OR into receiver. Then one needs a second set of COMPONENT cables from rcvr to tv.
Then instead of the cabletv box coax to the tv, cabletv box audio out (RCA left/right or stereo) goes to appropriate input on Pioneer; cable bx video (RCA type with yellow band) goes from cable box to Pioneer video input. Again, one now needs a similar composite RCA video cable from receiver's MONITOR OUT (you have 3 choices: composite, S-Video and component) to tv's Video In.
I will stop here. Sometimes it's necessary to plug all this in and see if it is all compatible in your system. At the most, you may be out another $60 in cables, the component being the more expensive. The AR Pro series component (not Best Buy's PERFORMANCE one) is good. Partsexpress.com carries them last I looked.
bill

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The subwoofer should be connected to the subwoofer output of the receiver, which is a pre-amp out. What does the packaging on your Monster cable say it is used for? They make cables specifically for hooking up subs, so it may not be the cable for the job if it doesn't say anything about that application.

As far as the cable box, you should be able to do better than the regular coaxial cable from the box to the TV. Look for an s-video output (looks kind of like a PS/2 port that you would hook a mouse into on a computer). If it doesn't have one of those, the composite video connection (RCA) may give you a slightly better picture. Also look for a digital audio output, either coaxial (single RCA, usually orange) or optical. If those are available, hook it up to the receiver that way. If not, you can use the analog audio outs (red and white RCA) to hook up the cable box to the receiver and get sound out of your speakers.

Hope that helps a little; let us know if you have more questions. Good luck with your new system.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
good, Mark:emoji_thumbsup:
I didn't get into the KISS (keep it simple..) aspect that involves spouses and kids in the household who may not be up to operating the entire AV system just to watch soaps, cartoons etc. We can discuss this too...

Mark__T

Agent
Thanks Bill

Since I never really did get the system up and running, I think this would be a good time to discuss the KISS aspect. I do have the Crutchfield A/V connection & hookup guide on the way, but I am still interested in the KISS thing.

Thanks
Mark

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Mark, let's not overload you with information, since you're still facing basic hookup questions. It's not clear why you're not up and running (receiver and speakers, dvd and tv, routing the cablebox wires...???) either from questions you have or lack of personal time. I think the more you work from manuals, then with specific questions to the forum, the better for you to understand your system in the long run. You may have to leave things spread out a coupla days to get to the plugs and wires.

KISS are hook-up methods to let young children just turn on the tv and its own speakers to watch cartoons or whatever, or the wife to watch soaps. That way they won't have to turn on the Pioneer receiver and have to scroll thru a lotta modes not knowing what's up with that.
(I'm not saying kids and spouses are dummies, just relating what some others do. Some wives may be more tech-minded than most).

Mainly, it means using just one of the several video input switches on the tv and leaving it there for them. Later, you will be able to fire up the Pioneer and listen to tv sound thru your big HK speakers.

bill

Mark__T

Agent
OK Bill

I will try from scratch when the A/V guide gets here. It seems that the manuals seem to contradict themselvs. If you follow one's advise, it goes against what the other manuals are saying. That is why I am so confused.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your time
Mark

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
mark, in the event Crutchfield merely sends you their Guide BOOKLET which is just a general overview, they allow you to download specific chapters for technical installation advice. You will need to have Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader installed on your computer, and you can print them out.
HERE is the link. G'luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks