Connection confusuion (Newbie post)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by lewis stephen, Mar 19, 2002.

1. lewis stephen

lewis stephen Auditioning

Just want to say this forum has a wealth of information.
    I just purchased a used NAD t751 from a friend and even after reading the manual a few times I am lost on how to connect my tv to this receiver.
    I am including two screenprints one is of the back of the Toshiba 61a61 rear screen projector tv and the other is of the NAD t751 connectors.
    I have figured out most but I am confused as to how to conenct the tv to the monitor out of the receiver. I have an s-video input from the tv for example labeled video 1 since the tv has two s-video inputs.My confusion is if the tv's s-video input is connected from the receivers monitor s-video plug where does the sound from the tv goto ? The monitor out connections on teh receiver are only ONE s-video plus one VIDEO RCA plug. So no sound source. What happens when I want to listen to the tv sound through the receiver ? I know dvd,cd and even my satelite connection are straight forward but this I can't figure out.
    I really hope I am wording this correctly.
    Thanks in advance once again for offering this excellent forumn to novices and pros alike.
    best,
    Lewis
    first screen print for toshiba is:
    [​IMG]
    second screenprint for NAD is:
    [​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You don't use the monitor out,

See in the grey box right above Video 3? It's marked "out". Plug your video and audio in there

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The TV's 'out' jacks on the right will go IN to Video 1,2,3 or 4 on the rec. Video 3 and 4 are in and out combo's, for VCR record loops. Use them if you need to, not just for a VCR.

To recap - The rec collects audio and video sources, and in the case of video, there may be 3 or 4 things going in, but only one place to go 'OUT' to - the TV. That's where the MONITOR OUT comes in.

Lotsa cables, but greater convienience.

Good Luck!

4. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I am using the monitor out on my receiver. In my opinion it makes less of a mess and more simplicity. All you have to do is run all your equipment to the s-video ins on your receiver. Then run your monitor out from the receiver to the monitor in on the TV. Now your reveiver acts like a video switcher. Just leave your tv on the approprite video selection and turn on your receiver. Now you can flip between tv, s-vhs, dvd, tuner, etc on your receiver.

5. lewis stephen

Thanks for all your wonderful help. Its so nice being able to post a question that you feel is complicated and someone else who finds it a simple solution does not berate you. Very refreshing [​IMG]
    Any ways I did the set up as per above just putting the s-video to the monitor out and hooking that up to video input 1 on the toshiba. Now my problem is all the video functions for dvd,satelite cd are fine but I was unable to use the tv's tuner this way. I had to run a seperate rca plug from the video and audio out of the tv and use up a video input on the nad. So now I am using the video switching for everything but the tv. But I think I am still wrong.
    I hope I am explaining my problem again correctly [​IMG]
    best,
    Lewis

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

how are you getting tv signal -- ANT, CATV coax? And do you have a VCR in the mix. If the latter, do you have CATV to RF In on the VCR and a coax RF OUT to tv's RF IN (F-connector screw post)?

let us know...

7. lewis stephen

Bill,
    I guess it does not get easier [​IMG]
    I have my cable coaxial cable and my satelite coaxial cable going in to my satelite receiver. Then I have the coaxial cable going from the satelite to the video in and then finaly I have the video out coaxial cable going to the coaxial input of the tv.
    Now if I understand Collin's previous answer he says to do the wiring like this below:
    However if I do this it would appear to me and I certainly don't know but I am using regular RCA jacks to send the audio and video signals to the tv. And then I am sending the video out monitor signal via s-cable from the receiver. The only thing I think I need the monitor for is to be able to do the on screen setup that the NAD requires prior to use and if you need to change speaker or input setup. This initself is another complicated issue [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What I am looking for is how do I still make use of my tv signal video by using the s-video which supposedly gives me better quality then the RCA connectors I have had to use.
    also I went out and bought a coaxial digital cable and another s-plug and when I hooked this up from DVD to the receiver it blew me literaly away when I watched a movie last night. I can not beleive the difference it made just changing from an rca to the digital coaxial cable.
    again all thanks for your patience in helping me get this all set up correctly.
    best,
    Lewis

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

This can get complicated....
    In person it is much easier, sorry.[​IMG]

9. lewis stephen

I'm even making it sound complicated to myself [​IMG]
    What I meant was my coaxial cable going out from my satelite is going to my VCR in (I mentioned video in) and that is pretty confusing even when I read it [​IMG]
    sorry.
    Lewis
    It's easier running a website then it is connecting video components [​IMG]
    www.AtoZfitness.com

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I'm gonna comment briefly, then bow out. I do nothave SAT/Sat STB.

Our confusion has much to do with using the rcvr pass-thru functions/options. Also w/ your inexact terminology.

A DIGITAL COAX cable in the audio realm pass Audio using 50ohm to 75ohm RCA connectors. (As an aside, the alternative is Optical or TOSlink, typically from the DVD player to the rcvr).

Calling a video cable "digital coax" is confusing but not totally incorrect; in any case this must be 75ohm rated.

You say you have "cable" and "satellite." You mean BOTH cableTV AND satellite dish? Whooo ...many wires...

You are OK with S-Video from MONITOR OUT to tv (and you find the bonus of OnScreenDisplay).

Now, we have to get the tv picture to the rcvr so it can pass it from Monitor Out.

Typically, you run the Satellite Box coax cable to VCR RF IN (it carries both sound and picture). VCR Video Out (yellow-band RCA) goes to amp Video 1 IN. VCR audio out RCAs go to amp's Video 1 RCAs L/R In. (After all tv broadcast on cable and Sat is mainly stereo but also Dolby Prologic; set amp on SOURCE AUTO and it will detect DPL. Now I am not talking about SAT with its occasional HBO 5.1 feeds; no expereince.)

ON EDIT: some may not like to send VCR composite videon to the rcvr then hope for upconversion from S-Video out. But it DOES give you video switching convenience on the rcvr. Otherwise, run a catv type RG6 cable from VCR RF OUT directly to tv's ANT1. But you fiddle with the rcvr for sound and have to switch tv modes til you get ANT1.

So yes, I dont see that RCA video going back fm amp to the tv. Monitor Out S-Video carries it.

hope there's a glimmer in here, but it's ok if it doesnt come all at once...

11. lewis stephen

Thanks for a great explination. I will print this entire thread and see if I can digest it all. Your explination certainly helped quite a bit as well.

Feels like I'm back in shool again.

Thanks for your time and effort.

best,

Lewis

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

lewis, I also have a NAD receiver (great, ain't it?). I'm going to tell you what I do, even though I don't have a satellite, and I'm eliminating the digitial recorder and the Picture-in-picture stuff out.

I'm connecting the cable box (in your case, satellite box) directly to the receiver using RCA cables, into one of the NAD's "video" inputs (in my case, Video 2). Your satellite/cable box should have that kind of output as well; possibly even S-Video. All of my other components are connected to other inputs on the NAD.

The "monitor out" on the NAD is connected to my TV's Video 1. Now, the image the TV gets depends on what you select on the NAD.

Note that no coaxial cables are used (not including the into the cable box, of course). I think this would be the best solution for you. Use RCA or S-Video for everything. With the configuration I'm describing, your receier gets TV signal first, not the other way around. The TV is getting its video signal from the receiver, not from the sat/cable box.

The above is a big simplification of my setup: I actually am using cable coax so that I can use picture-in-picture; alternate TV inputs for my DVD player's component connection; and there's a TIVO box involved. If you have any of the stuff, let me know. However, the basic idea is the same. Remember, your receiver's job isn't only to distrubute sound, but can act as the command and control center for your whole setup. Pipe all your A/V into it first, then output it to display devices.

13. lewis stephen

Mike,
    If I got you right this is how I will connect it all tonight. I'm attaching my diagram again [​IMG] I know at least I got the dvd correct with the digital audio cable and s-video cable for picture. Star Wars was amazing last night.
    My only problem to make it easy for my kids is to not have to touch the tv's input button constantly to change it for Sat,DVD or TV. I only want them to have to use the NAD receiver's remote by pressing video 2 for satelite and video 3 for tv and becasue the monitor is connected via the video input 1 on the tv always leave it at that setting. Is this possible ?
    best and thanks to all of you . Youa re truly amazing in your responses.
    Lewis
    [​IMG]

14. MichaelGomez

I was a little confused on the type of signal you get. Cable, Satallite or both.
    I have satallite so all I did was run the s-video from the satallite to the s-video TV setting on my receiver. Mine looks like this
    I hope this is simple enough to get the idea across but not too simple.
    [​IMG]
    My VCR isn't an s-vhs model so it has to be run through the normal RF vid 1. I am getting a s-vhs and will be able to eliminate all of my video options except video 2.
    Hope this helped.

15. lewis stephen

Michael,

Thanks the diagram did indeed help. That is my problem I am receiveing two feeds one for satelite and one for cable . My kids watch certain shows on the cable that are not on the dish network.

best,

Lewis

16. MichaelGomez

So you could hook it up like I have it. Only take your cable box to the RF video 1 and run it through the VCR. Like you would on any normal TV. Then run your audio RCA cables to the receiver.

The only thing bad about this is that everyone will have to switch between vid1 and vid2.

That is the reason that I broke down and bought a pronto remote. Now they just hit the TV button and it does the rest.

Of course there is the off chance that someone is making a cable box with s-video.

Out of curiousity, what are you getting on cable that you can't get on satallite. Seems like an extra bill, but I live in a town that has crappy cable service. Unless you upgrade to the digital cable.

What would be a cool trick is to get them on the same video so that you could run the satallite into the TV and the cable into the PIP.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

18. lewis stephen

Mike,

You mentioned...

Another thing: I noticed that you're connecting your CD player with an optical input. If you have a really good player, you might want to consider using an analog connection, allowing your CD player to do the sound distribution.

1-Is not using the optical connection for my technics cd player the best way to go ?

2-Also even though the kids use the receiver to select for example DVD the tv still needs to have the input button pressed to select the DVD to be seen on the monitor. Not sure why though.

Have a great week-end.

Lewis