What's new

Connection between multimedia PC and surround system (1 Viewer)

NicPezzi

Auditioning
Real Name
Nic Pezzi
Hello there,
I'm new there so apologies if I say something wrong.
I have a Elonex Artisan LX multimedia PC connected that I am trying to connect to a Home Theathre system (LG LH550TB) so that I can listen to music from itunes via the surround system.
Computer has a S-Video in/out and surround system has composite input (yellow/red/white). I looked for a cable between these two but it does not seem to exist.
Am I looking at the right ports to connect these 2 items and if so what do I need to connect them?
Feel free to ask more questions if needed.
thank you.

Nic

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The jack on the computer that you would use to hook up computer speakers can be used to send a signal to the LG system’s white and red connections. The computer probably has a 3.5mm jack, and the LG has RCA inputs, so you’ll need a “y” adapter, like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=240-135

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

NicPezzi

Auditioning
Real Name
Nic Pezzi
Hi, I tried that and I could get the audio out of the speakers but not the video output from the computer. If I change my TV back on the computer channel then the audio goes away. Surround system and plasma TV are connected via SCART.
any idea?
thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hmm... You told us before that you wanted to “listen to music from itunes via the surround system.” Not sure why you need video for that.

Also... Scart? Your first post said the “surround system has composite input (yellow/red/white).” So now I’m confused. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/images/smilies/scratch.gif

Basically, whatever your computer’s method of video output is, it has to be the same kind as your receiver – or TV, if you’re going straight to that from the computer. If not, a converter of some kind will be necessary.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Surround system would refer to your audio equipment, S-video is for video. Does your plasma have component, DVI or HDMI connector? If so, you would need a cable between your computers VGA or DVI connector to your plasma to get the picture as well.

NicPezzi

Auditioning
Real Name
Nic Pezzi
ok sorry for the confusion, I try again :)
LG surround system has a dvd player as well, I can watch DVDs on the TV fine. this is via a scart connection between the LG system and the TV.
Obviously when I watch a movie I need to mute the TV speaker so I can get audio via the surround system only.
The computer is connected to the TV with a different cable and I can see the PC and also get the audio via the TV speaker (not good obviously).
What I need is a way of seeing the PC video (so that I can select music on Itunes) but get the audio via the surround system.
In the surround system if I switch between different inputs I get either the PC video but no audio or no video and the PC audio.
Does the above make sense?
If you want a list of ports on the PC you can check this:
http://www.elonex.co.uk/digitalhome/products.html
and follow for Artisan LX.
thanks for your help.
If needed I can probably post a list of available connectors on PC/Surround System/TV.

Nic

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Optical audio out. Search for Toslink cable, that should do the trick unless your audio system doesn't have optical input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks