What's new

Connection advice PLEASE!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tony Gonzales

Auditioning
I have read so many different ways to connect everything to a receiver and heard so many different opinions. My Philips 30" widescreen can accept all the video inputs I am needing. Shouldn't all the audio inputs go to the receiver and all the video inputs go to the TV? I have a yamaha HTR-5660. Can somebody explain where to connect the cables? The Yamaha has 1 digital coax audio input which I plan to connect my digital cable box which only has analog and digital audio outputs. I want to connect my progressive scan DVD player directly to TV using component video cable and optical audio out from DVD player to receiver. I am so confused...please help.If it helps here is what I am wanting to connect...Philips 30" widescreen 30PW850H, Toshiba DVD/VCR combo which has digital and optical audio outputs, component video output, Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver, digital cable box which just has standard red, white, yellow rca jacks and a digital audio output. I am using a 3.1 setup which I plan to use for a while.I have all the cables needed(monster..I know). I just need to know how to connect from the components. This is my first post and would respect all responces. Thanks in advance.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
There are many ways to connect everything. The beginners FAQ (found in the HT Basics area of this site) has lots of useful information.

You are right about the audio. Typically, all of your audio connections will go directly to your receiver. For video, lots of people prefer to run everything directly to the TV. Personally, I like to route the video to the receiver and then to the TV, so that the receiver does both video and audio switching. There's no right or wrong way, as long as it works!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I like to connect the analogs straight to the TV so it'll have sound without the receiver on. Cheapo RCA cables will do.
If you can only hook up one thing digitally, hook up the DVD not the cable box.
Most DVDs have good to great sound. TV audio is so-so most of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks