Connecting Xbox and PC to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bryce, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Bryce

Bryce Stunt Coordinator

I have a DSL modem that is connected to a 802.11b Wireless Router that transmits a wireless signal throughout my residence. One of my rooms has an Xbox and a PC that both need to be connected wirelessly. What is the least expensive means of doing this? Is it possible to have the PC connected wirelessly to the network and then connect the Xbox to the PC using the wired ethernet port on the PC?

2. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

If you aren't in WXP, there really isn't a way around purchasing wireless Network cards for your XBox and PC. You'll need a network card that connects to your XBox via USB that automatically sets itself up without using a computer. Those devices are found at higher price points than normal wireless cards for their special functionality. For the PC, expect to pay between $35-$60 USD for a new card depending on if it is connected by USB port or PCI bus.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Not sure how connection sharing in XP would work with an XBOX. Works fine for other PC's, but......

I would suggest getting the Microsoft wireless adapter for the XBOX. It's not exactly cheap (probably $70 or so), but it's easy to install (there is software for it, but since it's MS there's no problems with it). I set one up for a friend and he's never had a probelm with it over the last 6 months or so.

That would keep you from having to keep your PC on every time you want to play XBOX. Not that it's too big a deal, but it's one less thing to have to do.

BTW, you can get a PCI wireless B card for less than $20 for your PC. Sometimes closer to $10 with rebates. Check www.tigerdirect.com.

4. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

I'm not suggesting ICS, but bridging NICs at the PC. They are separate, independent functions. IMHO, I don't think a bridged PC connection between RJ45 & 802.11b ports distinguishes between packets sent from/to PC to PC or console game to PC. As long as they are sent using the TCP/IP protocol and the networking is properly setup there will be throughput.

I personally don't purchase off-brand network cards or B-stock products. Bryce you may be able to pick up a PCI nic for $20 or so if you don't mind those conditions. But as is always true in life, you get what you pay for.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Ah. That makes more sense.

As for the cheap WNIC....there's a DLink on there for $20. Maybe not the best name, but a major brand name anyway.

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm using a Linksys WET11 like Kimmo says above for about 3 years now.....

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Personally I have a similar device but from D-Link, use it for my Xbox. Works great, only drawback compared to a 100 mbit wired connection is lower transfer speed; that is only an issue when transferring large files, really.