Connecting Xbox 360 to laptop wirelessly

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Clinton McClure, Feb 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    If I were to pick up a wireless adapter for my 360 would I be able to connect wirelessly to my laptop WITHOUT having a home network setup with router, etc...? My laptop has a wireless card built-in but I do not have a wireless router because I have no broadband so up to now wireless was a moot point for me.

A friend of mine suggested going wirelessly directly from my laptop to the 360 might be accomplished using ICS but he was not sure.

Any thoughts?

2. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    This morning I picked up a wi-fi adapter for my 360 and I played around with direct connectivety for about an hour today and could get nowhere so I went out and bought a wireless router. I figured I can at least set up a network between my desktop and laptop and tie the 360 into it wirelessly. Wrong! The router is a Linksys WRT54G. After unpacking it and setting everything up, it turns out that it is necessary for me to have a broadband connection to be able to configure this thing. Since I have no broadband, all I could do is turn it on and have my laptop wirelessly detect an unsecure network named linksys. My 360 would recognize the network as linksys (I could not change the name) but would fail the network connection test. I was finally able to get the 360 to recognize the laptop in the windows-based PC tab and I could play mp3s from there.

Question: Is there any way with any wireless router to set up a network where broadband isn't required? I don't need internet connectivety, I just need to be able to network my desktop, laptop and 360 wirelessly on a secure connection.

3. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand the need to have a broadband connection to configure the router. You should be able to log into the router via your browser at 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the default is set to) and login as admin. You should be able the configure the router then.

4. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Thanks, Michael. I did not have any documentation telling me that.

I just tried and I do not know what the username should be so I'm still stuck.

edit: I found on the linksys website to leave the username blank and enter admin as the password. All I get is the same message to enter username and password.

5. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Ok, disregard the login problem. Caps-lock was on. :b

After about a half hour of applying settings and reading the linksys FAQ page my network is on the air.

Thanks again for the gentle nudge in the right direction Michael! [​IMG]

Heck yeah! My laptop's in the bedroom and I'm streaming Metallica's Whiskey in the Jar to my HT!!!!!!! Frikkin' awesome! [​IMG]