Connecting with S-video and component

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Doug Smith, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I have a Toshiba HDTV. If I connect my DVD player directly into the TV's colorstream component jacks, I can't access my receiver's menu. This is ok most of the time. If I connect an S-video jack from the DVD player into the receiver, and then from the receiver to one of the TV's s-video input jacks, I can use the receiver's menu ( I would only need this to tweak the system occasionally - otherwise I would use the component jacks). I have read that you shouldn't connect both the regular video jack and the s-video out jacks from a DVD player to a TV. Is this the same for component and s-video out jacks, or are they different?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Doug,

There isn’t a problem, as long as the duplicate video sends are sent to separate video inputs on the TV.

In other words, don’t send the DVD player’s composite and S-video signals to say, “Video 2” on the TV. Send one of them to “Video 1,” and the other to “Video 2.” Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Why do you need to connect the DVD's S-VHS output to your receiver? It seems to me that you should just use the component outputs from the DVD to the TV, and connect the receiver to a different input on the TV. I don't know if there's any harm also using the DVD's S-VHS output but I don't see why you'd need it either.

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Yeah as I said, the S-video is routed through the receiver. This is for the sole purpose of using the receiver's menu. The only time I'd do this is say when using the Avia setup disc to tweak the sound for instance. My receiver (as do most) have no on screen menu's through the component cable, even though I could loop the component cable through the receiver. There's no question a direct component line from the DVD to the T.V. is the way to go for watching movies.

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Doug,
    I understand why you need to connect your receiver to your TV thru the S-VHS cable - for the receiver's on-screen display - but I don't understand why you have to run another S-VHS cable from your DVD player to your receiver. You don't need that for the OSD.

6. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

You need the DVD to the receiver s-video connection when using a DVD tuneup disc - like avia. Its the only thing I would use this connection for. I don't run my component cables through the receiver - they go straight into the HDTV.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I don't understand why you need to use the DVD player's S-video connection exclusively when using AVIA. I would think you should do the calibrations while using the component connections.

Furthermore the adjustments using S-video might not be the same as the adjustments using component video, hopefully the TV can remember both.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Yeah its easy with the TV adjustments (eg. you pull up the TV's menu while watching the DVD and adjust). But with sound adjustments you can't access the receiver's menu through the component jacks (at least with my Marantz). This means that if I say want to adjust my speaker out puts through a DVD setup disc (like say Avia) it means that i cannot automatically pull up my receiver's menu while watching the disc (the menu won't appear on the TV screen). So I have to find another input route through the receiver's monitor out video jack (either S-video or regular video). I think most receiver's are like this. Even though you can route your component jacks through the receiver then to the T.V. - you can't access the receiver's menu through those component jacks. I hope it clears up the dilemma.

9. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

Why can't you just have the component direct to the tv, throw avia in. Then when you feel like you need a change, go to a different video input that would bring up the osd from the receiver. thats what i do with my Denon 3802, Denon 1600, and Hitachi SWX.

10. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Hi everyone!
    Are most receiver's like this where you can only access the On-Screen Menu's thru S-Video? And how come?

I'm thinking of getting a new receiver and was trying to figure out how I would get around this. Obviously I want to use component video but I would like to have access to On-Screen menu's anytime I want also.
    I guess most people do it with 2 connections like this?
    DVD player ===component===> TV INPUT1
    DVD player ===S-video==> receiver===> TV INPUT2
    Thanks
    Andy

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

12. AeroDigirati

AeroDigirati Auditioning

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What is the OSD using, and what is the VCR using? If they’re different, then it’s probably that the 5800 doesn’t upgrade video signals.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. AeroDigirati

AeroDigirati Auditioning

Instead of the Svid I took the cheap route and used composite vid from MONITOR1[5800]==>INPUT2 on 1130HD for OSD; that part works fine and got the speaker config, channel level, etc. all set.

MONITOR OUT[5800]==>INPUT1 on 1130HD and all other other components work fine (DVD1,DVD2,CD, etc.). VCR is last device hooked into 5800 to VCR-1; I tried composite and sVid ... audio but no vid. I probably could just hook VCR directly to 1130HD mediacenter, but I like switching devices through 5800. Insight? VCR is last device before putting glass doors back on ;-).

Thanks again.

15. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

16. AeroDigirati

AeroDigirati Auditioning

MONITOR OUT[5800]==>INPUT1 on 1130HD is component video connection to the 1130HD, and I dbl chkd in v out, etc. Didn't think to try different VCR-x on Denon ... will regroup and troubleshoot with this advice this weekend. Thanks.

"There's no heavier burden than a great potential"
    --Peanuts

17. AeroDigirati

AeroDigirati Auditioning

Go figure: swapped out and replaced cables with different set (composite); VCR-1 works ... through INPUT2 as you suggested! I may try running VCR through MediaCenter to see if quality of pic improves, but for now "all systems go". Thanks.