Connecting video sources to projector through Tivo

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joel Stein, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Joel Stein

Joel Stein Stunt Coordinator

I posted this earlier on the "Tweaking, Connections and Accessories" forum, but then it occurred to me that this would be a more appropriate forum. Mods, I apologize if double posting like this is a no-no; if so, please delete this thread or the other.

I have a Tivo; I'm going to get a projector. I can connect the Tivo to the projector using component. If I connect other things to the Tivo (tv though coax, vcr through composite), will the Tivo send those signals to the projector through its component output?

Thanks.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    AFAIK it can send the signal received through the coax out as component, but not the composite video signal from the VCR.

Regards,

Joe

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

A Tivo is a recording device, it is not meant for and performs poorly as a video switching device. If you try to route other devices through it, there are several major problems:
    (1) There is no passthrough, everything is being run through the MPEG processor and gets degraded.
    (2) While you are watching that other source, can't record any TV shows airing at the time.

Buy a separate A/V receiver or video switchbox to route signals directly to the projector.

4. Joel Stein

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply here. On the parallel thread I started about this on the "Tweaking, Connections and Accessories" forum, I got into more detail about what exactly I am trying to do. Would you mind checking it out HERE and telling me what you think?

Thanks so much,
    Joel

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Bad idea. Best is
    cable from wall -> splitter
    splitter -> Tivo
    -> VCR
    -> TV tuner (if you have one)
    Tivo output -> AV receiver/switchbox
    VCR output -> AV receiver/switchbox
    AV switch out -> projector

If your projector has enough inputs, and these are your only sources, you could alternately just run the Tivo & VCR straight into the projector.

(I'm thinking that sending the vcr's signal to the projector through Tivo's s-video would give better quality than connecting the vcr directly to the projector via yer basic composite RCA video cable.)

No, this will be much worse. You are going through an additional MPEG processing stage, video is going to be degraded. Generally, S-video is only going to be substantially better than composite if you are starting with a digital source. Conversion of composite to S-video is only an improvement if whatever equipment you are using is better at it than the electronics in your projector. Conversion after a lossy MPEG encoding stage, as you would through a Tivo, is even worse. Don't think that just because you get a S-video feed into the projector that that is automatically better than feeding it composite. It will usually be worse! It's only better when you have a digital source (or something like an S-VHS vcr), that has an S-video out. Do use S-video for the Tivo output into the projector. But forget about running anything other than the cable TV tuning through the Tivo.

6. Joel Stein

Thank you! You have been incredibly informative and helpful.

Cheers,
    Joel