What's new

Connecting vcr via composite. (1 Viewer)

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Hi, I'm hooking up a JVC dvd/vcr combination player to a new Sharp flat panel tv. I also have a HDTV cable box that will be hooked up soon. My question is, how do i hook up the vcr through all this? I was told to connect the vcr to the tv with standard rca cables after going through the cable box with a coax. Is this correct?

Also, the dvd/vcr seems to not want to output through s-video for the dvd player. Even after doing the "trick" in the manual to get it in s-video mode (holding down stop and then pressing the channel up button) the s-video will not output if the round coax is connected for vcr use. DVD is currently plaing through the coax also which I know isnt the best picture. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is confusing.

peeaanuut

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
hook up the HDTV portion of the cable box to the tv. Hook up the composite version of the cable box to the VCR in on the combo unit. Than run composite out of the combo unit to your TV. Does the combo unit have component outputs or just composite and s-vide? If so, just go with composite all the way through. You cannot play the vhs out of the unit with S-Vid unless you have S-VHS but that is another monster all together.

This is what I have come upon with my experience, but if someone with more experience than I have would like to take a crack at it, I would like to know if I am wrong.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Does the VCR/DVD unit have a setup menu that lets you output S-video all the time?

Even regular VHS tapes play better with S-video from the VCR, if that exists and works. But broadcasts that came in from the antenna coax usually pass through a non-SVHS VCR/DVD better as composite or when still on an antenna coax.

Some VCR/DVD combo units have separate outputs for the VCR section and the DVD section. Here, use separate (Video 1 and Video 2) inputs on your TV, do not try to connect both output sets to Video 1. TV's with just one video selection on the remote and just one pair of audio jacks, even with both yellow and S-video jacks, should not be bought or if possessed must be composite for everything or S-video for everything.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks