Connecting TV's power cord to Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMA, Mar 14, 2003.

1. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if it is ok to connect a TV's power cord to the AC outlets on the back of a receiver. I have a Toshiba 36A50 and a Denon AVR-1803. I want to do this as a workaround for the Toshiba not having a discrete on/off code to use with my HTM RX-500 remote.

According to the specs on these models, the TV's power consumption is 100W Average, and the AC outlets on the receiver can handle 100W Max. Will I damage either component doing this?

2. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

Not a good idea. When you power on the TV it will take more than the average. In general the the max power intake of the appliance you connect should be less than the rated output. Those outlets in the back of receivers are generally for other audio devices such as CD or DVD players.

3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Agreed... not a good idea.

When first powering on a television, there is a spike that may be up to 1.5 or 2 times the average load. This would quite possibly blow a fuse in your receiver.

You can buy a Power Sensing power strip. Plug this into the wall outlet, plug your receiver into the sensed outlet on the strip, and plug the television into a switched outlet on the strip. This will achieve the results you desire and not overload the outlet on your receiver.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

A couple of other things.

You may lose settings on your TV since you're cutting power to it completely.

Have you checked Remote Central for Toshiba discrete codes for your TV? I found one that worked for my Tosh 50H81 with a Pronto TSU1000

5. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice guys. I did check for discrete codes for my model (36A50), but I didn't find anything that worked. It seems only the newer Toshiba models have the discrete on/off codes. The workarounds in the forum were unsuccessful also. I will look into the sensed outlet thing I guess. Didn't even know such a thing existed. I don't want to lose the settings on my tv, but I'm pretty sure they don't get lost quickly as I have recently moved my tv to another room and it was unplugged for about 1 day and I didn't lose the settings. I use my tv almost every day so that may not be a problem. Thanks again for the info guys.