Connecting TV to HT system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    What exactly is needed to hook your HT to a television and get
    stereo sound using Cable with no converter box and not hooking the reciever up to a TV and turning off the TV speakers? is it possible to do this using a VCR? if so what kind of stuff am I going to need to do it and also what connections will I need to make? thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Your question is kind of confusing, Keith, but if I understand it, you want to get TV audio to the HT system without using the TV as the source for the audio?

If so, then yes you can use the VCR as a tuner for cable TV. That’s what I do. All you need to do is connect the VCR’s “Audio Out” left and right (white and red) jacks to the receiver’s “VCR” or “Video” input. The receiver will also have left and right audio inputs. Note that if you’re using a VCR input, it will probably have two sets of jacks, a pair for input (playback) and a pair for output (recording). You want to use the input (playback) jacks.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

What Wayne said, with the addition that the VCR needs to be hi-fi.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Let me also add that the VCR's tuner is usualy better than the majority of TV tuners so if you hook the VCR to the receiver, you get better sound than hooking the TV to the receiver.