What's new

Connecting to the BFD 1124p (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I just got my BFD 1124p in yesterday. I had to take off the rack mount tabs because it wouldn't fit in my audio rack with them on. Any good ideas for plugs for the holes that were left?

But on to my main question. The greatly helpful webpage that Jon put together shows a mono 1/4" adapter being used.

Page 18 of the BFD manual mentions that if possible, connect the unit to other devices in a balanced configuration. It goes on to show an unbalanced config using a mono 1/4" jack plug and a balanced config using a stereo 1/4" jack plug.

In some of my reading, I've seen that others are also using mono 1/4" adapters. Now I don't understand what balanced vs unbalanced configurations are all about, but am curious if this is one of those little details that matter.

Should I use a stereo or mono adapter to connect out to my sub amp and in from my receiver? The sub signal is mono anyway, so I'm thinking this is a non-issue, but wanted to check with you folks.

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Rick,

You’re going to be amazed at the improvement the BFD will make on your sub!

To answer your questions:
Should I use a stereo or mono adapter to connect out to my sub amp and in from my receiver? The sub signal is mono anyway, so I'm thinking this is a non-issue.
That is correct.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Just put the screws back in.
WARNING! Just putting the screws ALL the way in could have disatrous consequences. The screw length accounts for the thickness of the rack "ears". If you screw them all the way in, you could end up hitting a circuit board inside the unit. Some people use washers to account for the difference.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Don’t the rack ears screw into the side of the unit? Just put the screws back in.
Yeah, I did that Wayne. But the ears themselves were part of the side covers. They left about a 1.5 in square opening on either side.
I hope you're right about being amazed at the difference! Right now, newbie to all this that I am, the ETF software and the BFD present a formidable learning curve. But it should be fun as long as you guys are patient and hold my hand. ;)
Jeff, good call on that warning. I checked one side and it was clear.. but the power switch side may have an issue. I haven't powered it up yet and will address that.
Thanks, guys.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
WARNING! Just putting the screws ALL the way in could have disatrous consequences. The screw length accounts for the thickness of the rack "ears".
If the rack ears attach to the side of the chassis (as is usually the case -- ears like the BFD that are part of the side panel are unusual) they expect you will the screws back in and design accordingly.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Danny Owens

Agent
Rick,

If you are concerned about it, then you may want to go by Home Depot and pick up a piece of aluminum. They sell 2" x 1' lengths. Cutting and trimming is easy. Use the hole pattern in the ears to line up screw holes for the blank plates.

Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sisukas
Recent bookmarks