What's new

Connecting to Stereo receiver? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Hi folks.
Can i connect a sub to a sereo receiver?
I am pretty much set on an Onkyo TX-8511 with Cambridge Soundworks Model Six speakers.
Do you think it'll be a decent setup?
Now, i'm planning to buy a subwoofer later on (hopefully PB12 or the Sony everyone's raving about).
Will this work with a stereo receiver?
I ask this because IIRC, only 5.1 receivers have a sub pre-out.
Please help me out here! :)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I'm just as new at this stuf as you, so if I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me, but many subs have internal crossovers that allow you to wire the speakers through the subwoofer. Take a look at this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=18 then look at the back view.
I believe that the crossover allows the sub to filter out the signals it deems to be its "property" and then sends the rest out to the speakers. The variable crossover allows for fine tuning of this cut-off point.
I could be completely wrong but, your luck, no one else is up at this time of night :)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Mark,

I assume when you say the "Sony everyone's raving about" you mean the SA-WM40. I have that sub and am pleased with it. I too am new to HT and alot of people will probably tell you to go with a. the other sub, or b. if you go with the Sony, they will tell you to stuff the box just as you would a car sub. I know you can hook the Sony up to a stereo reciever that has no LFE channel because that is the way my current setup is. Just run your speakerwire to the inputs on the sub, then from the outputs to the rest of the speakers. Whatever you have the crossover set at on the sub, it will filter out. Again, I maybe mislead about some things, but as far as connectivity goes, you can do it.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys.
Jeff, what's your setup?
Does doing this internal crossover thing affect sound quality much? (Of course it affects to some extent, the question is: how much?)
Thanks! :)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Mark,

My setup can be found at this link:

I am pretty pleased with the sound for the money that I put in it, but am plannin on upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks