What's new

Connecting to smart TV direct to AV receiver (Samsung QLED F6 to Sony STR-DN1080) (1 Viewer)

mark3178

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Ark
Hi all, very new to all this...
I'm trying to get my new AV Receiver working directly to my smart tv as I only use streaming service son the built in TV apps (Netflix, Disney plus etc). The only available output from the TV seems to an optical out from the 'one connect' box. I understand optical doesn't support most modern 'sound settings' such as Atmos (maybe even 5.1?) etc. Is there a straightforward way of connecting the two devices. There doesn't appear to be an HDMI out (although there is an HDMI ARC input if that helps).

I have connected them via blue tooth, but guess this isn't going to do the job?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to get you started, you'll use the ARC (audio return channel) feature, which sends audio from the TV back to the receiver. IF any of your apps are capable of receiving Atmos (most aren't) and your components are capable of sending it back to the receiver, then that's your solution for Atmos. Using the optical connection will allow up to 5.1.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I avoid ARC like the plague, but others swear by it, so maybe one of them can help.

mark3178

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Ark
Thanks John,
Will the ARC work if it’s running from the TV - HDMI IN (ARC). If this is the case would it run to a standard input port or need to go to the HDMI OUT (the only one labelled as ARC)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It goes from the ARC enabled monitor output on the receiver to the ARC enabled input on the TV. ARC allows the TV to send audio back to the receiver, in reverse direction. Then you have to enable it in the TV's and receiver's setup menus, then you sacrifice a goat to the A/V Gods and pray it all works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks