What's new

Connecting TIVO and SA3100HD together? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi all,

Trying to set up my first home theater. I'm still waiting to get a receiver, which I think I'll have in the next month. Anyway, I just picked up a Tivo Series 2 and realized I don't totally understand how my 3100HD box is hooked up to my TV.

Do I have this right?

The Component outputs and the digital audio out from the 3100HD box should go directly to the TV and receiver. And then the S-video and RCA audio out (for the standard definition channels on the 3100HD) should go into the TIVO, and then out to the receiver?

Being all new to this, do I need digital audio to be able to use Dolby ProLogic 2 and processing like that? Will I be able to use the receiver if I am just feeding in the analog audio signals for the standard definition signals?

Thanks!
Aaron

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
And then the S-video and RCA audio out (for the standard definition channels on the 3100HD) should go into the TIVO, and then out to the receiver?
Depending how many inputs you have in the TV. Go straight into the TV with the video if you have enough inputs. Digital output will give you the DPII and other processing
good luck!

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
So there's no way to get DPLII for regular TV, I guessing? Is this something I even want?

Thanks, Aaron

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a digital audio output from your 3100 HD? That would do it.
Is this something I even want?
Try it and see if it sounds good to you. Give it a chance. I find some processing annoying, but each system and person is different.
Good Luck
Grant

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Grant, yes, there's a digital audio out from the 3100HD, but the problem I'm seeing is that there are TWO sets of video outputs that need to be connected, the component output for the HD and the S-vid for the SD material. And the fact that the Tivo doesn't have a digital audio in, is why I'm so confused with all of this.

Thanks!
Aaron

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Oh I see
I Have a Sony HD100 but I am pretty sure it'll work the same. If you set the output set on the 3100HD box to the high resolution output; you'll see nothing on the svideo (And visa versa). My TIVO will not record a HD input, only the standard S video. I am betting youres works the same.
I found out that if you use the TIVO video out and the digital out from the HD box, you will get a nasty delay (like watching a badly dubbed Japanese movie).
If you use the digital out of the 3100HD box, you need to use the video from there and not the TIVO. If you have enough inputs and 2 s video outs from the box you can connect it both ways
(Wish I had a pencil & paper, diagrams are much easier)
If you are still confused feel free to email me
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks