What's new

Connecting tips: Yamaha 663, Samsung LN32550, Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

vern1955

Auditioning
Real Name
Veronica Holub
I hope I'm posting this in the right place....

OK, I now have my new receiver, along with a new 1080 LCD HD TV (Samsung LN32A550) and a Samsung BDP 1500 Blu-Ray.

Now I'm ready to hook them up (will probably get assistance from a friend of mine who is more of an audiophile than I am).

Any tips/suggestions/warnings on hooking up these components to get the maximum viewing and listening pleasure?

I'll be using my current 5.1 system (Klipsch all around). I have Dish Network and will upgrade to HD Dish in the next week or so.

Also bought a Harmony 550 remote (probably just as excited about this as I am the other components).

The only other component I will be hooking up at this time will be my 6-disc CD changer.

Also, is it worth paying the $99 for the Yamaha Ipod charger/docking station? Otherwise, would I plug my Ipod into the receiver headphone jack to listen to it through my Klipsch speakers? Just wondering if the Yamaha charger/docking station would be easier to use/sound better?

Thanks, as always!

Veronica

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, Veronica.

Congrats on your new gear. I don't have any real tips for you at the moment. If you do have a knowledgeable friend who can help you w/ setup, that's probably best anyway. If you run into problems that your friend can't figure out, just come back here and let us know the specifics and maybe we can help better that way.

RE: the iPod thing, I haven't bothered w/ that for my own 663 setup. I also haven't tried using the headphone jack yet, but I seriously doubt that's what it's for. The headphone jack should probably only be used for output (to a pair of good quality headphones), not input (from the iPod like you're thinking).

Anyway, I'm curious about the Harmony 550 remote. Please do report back on how you like it. I'm actually in the process of choosing between that remote and the Universal Remote RFC200 bundle (for the RF extension) -- I've owned a MX-500 for several years (but it's dead now), so the RFC200 wouldn't be too far off from that.

Again, congrats and have a blast!

_Man_

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Use good quality, but not expensive, cables and wires, 14 gauge speaker wire or larger. And read the manual!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. Proper calibration is essential for optimum performance. If using the YAPO auto calibration feature be sure to double check the settings. And make sure all components are turned off, then un-plug them until all connections are made. And use a surge protector. Also, stay away from the cooking sherry 'till your done.

rion75

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
I actually have the 863 with klipsch surrounds and sub and iam very dissapointed with the sound. I need alot of tweaking. Also I tried to just use the hdmi from my samsung lcd to the input of the 863 just for audio and it was not working? any ideas

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has the ipod dock for the Yamaha and a harmony 890 remote. I was able to program the remote from Harmony website and he is able to use the remote to play music from his ipod...kind of nice to remotely playback music from his chair.

He also connected his direct dish to the receiver

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks