Connecting the Sub...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike___Walker, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Mike___Walker

Yet another question [​IMG]
    The 'Volume & Frequency' thread has me a bit confused, and I'm confused from Energy's manual as well. I have an Onkyo 696 receiver & the Energy Encore speaker package. I just bought a cable for the sub at Radio Shack. On the back of the sub are the speaker wire inputs & outputs; there's also a 'RCA sub input' & a 'RCA X-over input'. On the front is the Bass Level & Low Pass Filter controls. What would be the best method to hook up the sub? Also, will the Avia disk help me set the controls right on the front? Man, there's more to building (and understanding) my HT than I thought there'd be. Once again, tia...

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Mike___Walker

Thanks Vince, you've been a lot of help.
    "The volume knob on the sub controls the level. However- you should also have a level control for the sub output on your receiver. I usually recommend that you turn the sub volume knob all the way up and control the volume with receiver. This usually gives you the cleanest signal path."
    Just to be clear: Turn both the LFE & Bass Level knobs all the way up, and use the Sub Volume [​IMG] on the receiver as the main control. I'm hoping you are talking about the Bass Level (next to the Treble Level) when you say Sub Volume on the receiver; if not, I don't think I have one... [​IMG]
    Once I get through all this, I think I'll owe some mass amounts of advice to some other newbie [​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

while vince is on dinner break, I'll chime in...

Once you get the AVIA or other versions of set-up calibration discs, you'll be getting the hang of speaker level settings, as follows.

The speaker levels here -- not to be confused with the external volume control -- are accessed in the amplifier's setup menus thru the remote, raised and lowered with remote buttons or arrows. RTM -- read the manual again and again. Your Onkyo is a hi-quality unit -- believe me, you've got all these adjustments...

These internal level settings may range from (minus) - 10 to +10; it depends on the amp model. Sub goes to -20 on Yamahas, for example. Typically after calibrating the volume output of each of the six speakers to a "reference level," often 75dB, you will leave these settings in place. (Remember to note each plus-minus number on paper and save it at the amp.) Then the amp volume control will adjust the whole spkr system during CD, television audio, DVDs and tapes, and FM etc.

Be advised there are reams of archived threads on sub bass calibration; setting your front and rear speakers to SMALL with the amp's remote menu, and telling the amp to send all bass to SUB. It's not just a weekend set-up, but we need a base camp before taking further steps!

The bass/treble on the front of the amp are just your old tone controls.

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Mike,

Vince is absolutely THE MAN, but his post has some errors because he is not familiar with the terminology energy uses in their subs. As Vince explained, there is a choice of 2 RCA jack inputs- with and without the sub activating its on board crossover. Again, as Vince explained, you want to use the input that bypasses the sub's on board crossover. However, in Energyese, it is the jack labeled "Xover input" that you want- thats the one that presumes an external crossover, which is what your reciever has. Also, when you use this one, both the volume and frequency knobs become inactive (most subs will still have an active volume knob when the crossover bypass input is selected).

Sooo, to sumerize, the energy sub has a crossover in case you fed it a full range (all frequency) signal so it could strip the high frequency away. But you don't want the sub altering the signal because the receiver has already prepared it for the sub, and you want the sub to just play it as it is. So you select the jack labeled "Xover input" cause thats energy's way of saying "use this if the signal has already been "Xovered"". Then it makes no difference where the two knobs on the sub are. Last step is then to set the level of the sub, which can only be done from the reciever. This is not the Bass level. There is no physical knob- it is a set up setting that Bill describes in his post. Be sure to set all speakers to small and set subwoofer to "on" or "Yes". May have to violate the code and resort to reading the manual.

6. Mike___Walker

I'm familiar with the receiver's settings in & out. With every new toy, I always play with it to see what it can do. I've already set the tones before I wrote the first post, but I'm sure my ears are wrong; I'll find out how bad I am when the Avia disk comes in the mail. I'm just glad the dials will become inactive, because I don't want to be messing with three different settings trying to achieve the correct sound. Thanks for clearing it up for me. [​IMG]

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I never knew I could set subwoofer volume with my receiver [​IMG] Thanks to this post, I cranked up my sub (which is a generic sony HT in a box sub, it's the only piece I haven't upgraded yet) and I used the receiver to set it to -5 db or something like that.. it sounds a lot better, it's just as loud, but not as boomy sounding [​IMG] I also found I can raise/lower all the speakers too, so I lowered the center which always seemed too loud to me, and raised my rears that always sounded too low [​IMG] glad I found this post [​IMG]
    Anyway, about my sub... it's pretty generic, it has a volume knob and a switch for music or movies.. I keep it set at movies, but any idea what the difference would be if I switched it to music? I've tried many times and never noticed anything different, so I just leave it set to movies...