Connecting sub from front L&R output?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christofer F, May 31, 2004.

1. Christofer F

Christofer F Auditioning

Aug 30, 2003
    Im thinking about trying polk audios suggestion on connecting a sub to front L&R instead of the subwoffer output, and setting speaker size on large, tough my speakers really is satelites.

I only have a Y cable, fron 1 connector(sub output) to the L&R line-input on the sub.

Can i just put the one connection on L only, on the pre-amp front output? or do i have to get a new cable?
  2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Feb 21, 2004
    actually, polk's recommendation for you, since you run satellites, is to use a speaker-level connection to the sub, connect the speakers to the sub's speaker-level outputs, and use the sub's crossover to adjust to your satellites' capabilities.

to do what you're describing, though, you'd need to connect both the L+R pre-outs to the sub. you can use your Y to do this and run only one cable to one of the sub's inputs. if you want to use both L+R inputs on the sub, you'll need another Y or another cable.

the best way to connect a sub to a receiver's front L+R pre-outs would definitely be with 2 cables (a single L+R cable) connected to the sub's L+R inputs, BUT this is NOT what you want to do, i don't think, because then you would have to connect your satellites to your receiver as full range speakers, which is undesirable in your case, right?