Connecting sub from front L&R output?

Christofer F

Auditioning
Reaction score
Hi!

Im thinking about trying polk audios suggestion on connecting a sub to front L&R instead of the subwoffer output, and setting speaker size on large, tough my speakers really is satelites.

MY QUESTION:

I only have a Y cable, fron 1 connector(sub output) to the L&R line-input on the sub.

Can i just put the one connection on L only, on the pre-amp front output? or do i have to get a new cable?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Reaction score
actually, polk's recommendation for you, since you run satellites, is to use a speaker-level connection to the sub, connect the speakers to the sub's speaker-level outputs, and use the sub's crossover to adjust to your satellites' capabilities.

to do what you're describing, though, you'd need to connect both the L+R pre-outs to the sub. you can use your Y to do this and run only one cable to one of the sub's inputs. if you want to use both L+R inputs on the sub, you'll need another Y or another cable.

the best way to connect a sub to a receiver's front L+R pre-outs would definitely be with 2 cables (a single L+R cable) connected to the sub's L+R inputs, BUT this is NOT what you want to do, i don't think, because then you would have to connect your satellites to your receiver as full range speakers, which is undesirable in your case, right?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parsimony