What's new

Connecting sub directly from dvd player?? (1 Viewer)

Ben F

Grip
Hi guys

Ok I just bought a sony sa-wm40 to go with my sony mini system, but when i hooked it up with the rca cable, there was hardly any bass!! ( I turned the sub level all the way up, i set my speakers to small, and db level to +6 and there was little improvement).

So i was just wondering if connecting the sub directly from my dvd player ( with DD decoder) will help in any way??....also will it cause any problems??

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Ben, instead of posting this question I would have just tried it. No it will not hurt anything but if you leave it hooked up like that you will not have a sub for TV/VHS/LD or other sources as I'm sure you already know. But at least if it does solve your bass problem then you know its something to do with your Mini system.

Wes

Ben F

Grip
Yeah i just wanted to know if anyone has tried it before, just in case, better be safe than sorry!!

so has anyone tried it before??

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure the volume on the sub is all the way down when you first hook it up. The problem with this hook up is that you will not get sub volume control when you change volume on your receiver.

You may want to hook up your sub via speaker level inputs and then run the speaker out on the sub to your mains.

Ben F

Grip
thanx for the advice rich

If i do hook it up through speaker wires won't I lose the lfe from the .1 output??

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ben: When you add a subwoofer, you often have to tell the receiver that it now has one attached. It does not auto-sense.

Assuming you have done this, the other problem could be the grip on the RCA plugs on your wire. (I am assuming you are using a coaxial cable and not a "jumper" cable made from what looks like walkman-headphone wire.)

Someone here bought an early SVS sub and had the same problem. After some initial panic, a different cable was used with tighter RCA plugs and this seemed to solve the problem.

The low-frequency signals seem to benefit from tight plugs so check your cables. This might be why some companies (Monster) have a reputation of "grip-o-death" RCA plugs. They make them extra tight because of this.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks