What's new

Connecting speakers to a Marantz SR-8000 (1 Viewer)

FrankC

Agent
Gang:
I have a quick newbie question about connecting speakers to the Marantz SR-8000. I just bought a used DH Labs cable with spade connectors to hook up my PSB Stratus(i)s.
The cable doesn't connect to the receiver as I expected. There's a circular black plastic jacket at the base of the receiver's binding post which protrudes about a 1/2" from the receiver's back plate. It has two holes (at the 1 and 7 o'clock positions), presumably to accomodate bare wire. The jacket prevents me from attaching the spade lugs as I would expect, namely flush with the back panel of the receiver.
Can I remove that jacket? Or am I just doing something wrong? Worst case, I suppose I could reterminate with bananas, but I thought this was a standard 5-way binding post.
Thanks in advance for your advice,
--f

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
My amp has binding posts like that too, and I thought that meant it only accepted bananas. That's what I ended up using.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
It's a NAD C340 stereo integrated amp, not a receiver. I'm a 2-channel kind of a guy, not an HT person :) I hang out here mostly for the useful information that pretty often comes along.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I have an SR-8000 and they do not have 5 way posts. You're options are bare wire, bananas (my choice) or small spades. I think you might be able to squeeze some of those really small electrical spades in, maybe.
Get yourself some good bananas and go with them. Unless you are comfortable with using bare wire. The wire will have to be cut back periodically and the posts will need tightening periodically when you first put the wire in and it compresses.

FrankC

Agent
Thanks for clearing things up, Andrew! I'll switch out the spades for some banana plugs.
--f

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks