Connecting speakers and sub to receiver

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Vince_B, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Vince_B

Vince_B Extra

May 20, 2004
    It seems like there are more than one way to hook up the speakers and sub to a receiver. I have always thought that you connect the speakers and sub directly to a receiver. But then I saw another setup where the receiver's OUT on the center and surrounds go to the center and surround speakers, the receiver's OUT on mains would go to the IN on the sub, then sub's OUT to the main speakers. The receiver's sub out is not being used in this case.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between this 2 setups? I'll be using this mainly for movies. 80% movies, 20% music.

My sub SVS PB1-ISD has a Disable/Enable switch in the back for the crossover. What should this switch be set to? Thanks.

Yamaha HTR-5760
    Polk Audio LSi7 (mains and surrounds)
    Polk Audio LSiC
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    In your case, your best bet will be to connect the all the speakers directly to the receiver. Sub via the sub pre-out from the receiver with the PB1's x-over disabled, and all the other speakers connected directly to the receiver.

The other setup you note is an optional setup in which you would utilizie the sub's x-over by setting the mains to large and sub=no. This is to allow a continuously variable x-over to be used in an attempt to get a better blend with the main speakers that extend well below the receiver's available x-over options. The other speakers will be crossed over and the bass redirected to the mains, still being handled by the sub. In certain setups, this method may work well, but what I mentioned before would be a "normal" setup, and with the gear you have, IMO, the preferred way.