What's new

Connecting speaker issue. (1 Viewer)

severett20

Grip
Real Name
Scott Everett
Ive what is probably a really noob question but some advise would be appreciated. I’ve finally updated my home theater system, opting for the Q Acoustics 3050 cinema pack along with the Pioneer VSX 832 av receiver. My issue is this, the tall 3050’s have two positive & negative outs per speaker but the receiver in’s only have one positive & negative per speaker. I purchased all this as a bundle so assume they are compatible, but am unsure what to do. My old system has four wires on the speakers & the receiver so I’m a little stumped. Any insight most welcome

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The double connection is for a bi-amp setup. Some receivers support this and some do not. In any event, you should see a removable link that connects the two sets of terminals. As long as this isn't removed, you should be able to connect your outputs from your receiver to one set of terminals. see page 8 and 9 of this manual: https://www.qacoustics.com/media/manuals/3000_series_speakers_manual.pdf

severett20

Grip
Real Name
Scott Everett
That’s great, thanks for the information. The setup has 6 ohm speakers, I’ve been reading reems of text on the preferred gauge of speaker wire to be used. Would you have any input?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't worry about 6 Ohm speakers. Don't make any changes on the receiver regarding that. leave it at the normal (8 Ohm) setting.

Speaker gauge also isn't something to sweat over. Most of the time some OFC 14ga is fine, unless you want to splurge on 12ga. don't spend a lot of money on it, though. Something like THIS will do the trick.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
General rule is thicker gauge is better, but don't go spending gobs of cash trying to find "audiophile" quality speaker cable. The amazonBasics wire referenced by John is perfectly fine. I use banana plugs, but YMMV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, banana plugs are nice. Personally, I like THESE. They take a while to get installed on the wire, but then they're rock solid. You can find those same plugs with various brand names on them. You want to use at least 16 ga wire with those plugs. Smaller wire (a higher number than 16) probably won't grab well enough.

severett20

Grip
Real Name
Scott Everett
Luckily I had ordered some 14 gauge + banana clips from amazon just before your replies. I’m having trouble deciding what to use on the center speaker as it sits near on flush to the wall so need connecters to match, however I think banana clips will stick out to far. I’m debating using Y clips as I’ve read they’ll allow for a more flush fit. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks