connecting sound blaster 5.1 live to multi-channel amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

how do i connect my sound blaster live 5.1 to my sony amp? i have seen some posts and i am a bit confused. There is a spdif socket on the back of the card and i gather you connect it to the coax out on the amp but what is the plug used on the card. In the manual it says to use a mono 3.5mm jack to coax lead but i cannot understand how it will be able to transmitt the full 6 channels throulg a mono jack?

also, will i be able to get dts out of my card?

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The multi-channel digital audio formats like Dolby Digital and DTS are just a bunch of bits, which can carry a wide range of channels like 1.0, 2.0, 5.0, 5.1, etc.; all encoded in a single bitstream, and not in separate channels. Consider that a coax or optical S/PDIF connection is a single connector.

Whether you can get DTS is more of a software issue. Again, they're just bits. (If the card had built-in decoding or processing, it would be another matter.)

//Ken

3. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

i am a little confused by your reply, are you saying that a s/pdif is an optical connection?

also, is dts soley dependent on the software, doesn't it matter what card i use aslong as its 5.1?

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The S/PDIF is a digital connection. Just get a mono to RCA connector and run it out to the digital coax input on your receiver. Also, make sure you have your software set to output digital.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Sorry, that should have been something like: "S/PDIF (coax or optical)" -- their physical features are different, but they transmit the same kind of signal. I posted about a hour after you, but I'm quite a bit to the west [​IMG]
    If the card can output Dolby Digital, then there's no simple technical reason it can't output DTS. It's more a question of whether the DVD player supports it and whether they have support in the sound card driver. For example, WinDVD requires that you buy the more expensive Plus version, $80 instead of $50, and may only work with certain cards because of driver issues.
    //Ken