What's new

Connecting Sony Blue Ray player 580 to Sony Bravia EX720 TV and to older Yamaha 1500 receiver (1 Viewer)

Gillis

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Walker
I have a Sont EX720, 55" LED TV. Just ordered a Sony 580 3D blue ray player. However I have a nice Yamaha 7.1 receiver that has no HDMI. Can I connect an HDMI from the Blue Ray to the TV and then go from the TV to the Yamaha with an optical cable?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Can I connect an HDMI from the Blue Ray to the TV and then go from the TV to the Yamaha with an optical cable?
Yes. You won't get the HD audio available on BR discs, but you will get the plenty good surround sound you've always had on DVDs.

Gillis

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Walker
I am assuming that there is no way to get the BR audio with my 1500 Yamaha? It's old but it is such a nice 7.1 receiver that I hate to think about replacing it (and the cost).

Gillis

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Walker
Yes; I've found that out. I'm not sure but I think that the EX720 Bravia has the output so I understand that I can go from the TV to the Yamaha with the optiical. I was advised by one of my fine fellow members that I will have DVD surround but not BR surround. I guess that is not as good but since I never heard it I won't miss it.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gillis said:
I have a Sont EX720, 55" LED TV. Just ordered a Sony 580 3D blue ray player. However I have a nice Yamaha 7.1 receiver that has no HDMI. Can I connect an HDMI from the Blue Ray to the TV and then go from the TV to the Yamaha with an optical cable?
Connect the bluray to the TV with HDMI. Then connect the bluray to the Yamaha with an optical cable. Connecting it from the TV will output stereo only to the receiver (assuming it will output anything at all).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The optical output on your TV is there for the internal tuner. It may or may not pass audio it receives from HDMI out through the optical output. If it does, it will be stereo only.

Gillis

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Walker
[/found out there is no optical on bravia. How would hdmi from BR to Bravia and digital coaxial from BR to receiver work?

Gillis

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Walker
Thanks for David's and everyone's patience. Just got the Sony 580 BR delivered and I was wrong. The BR has no optical that I can see. I can hook up the BR to the Bravia with HDMI and can only connect the BR with the Yamaha 1500 receiver with a Digital coaxial audio cable. No optical on the BR. Will this work or should I return it. No use having a BR without the surround. Sorry for not getting it straight. Gillis.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I have a really nice avr w/o hdmi too. I run hdmi from source to tv for the video, then coaxial digital from source to avr for the sound. You may not have true hd, but it still sounds excellent, plus the picture on the tv is 1080p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks