Connecting SNES to PC Monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick White, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Nick White

Nick White Stunt Coordinator

I've got a Sony G420 monitor which has two inputs. I noticed that the Multi-Out cable from the SNES turns into a standard RCA cable at output. What would be the best way to convert this to the VGA connector that fits into my monitor? I've looked into the RCA/VGA Component Converters. They say they are for HDTV moitors, though. Will these work on any PC monitor?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

probably the easiest thing to do is to buy a TV-in card for your PC. Any transcoder is going to be VERY expensive

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I wouldn't do this if I were you, it's going to look like crap and be expensive to boot. It will be much cheaper to just buy a PC controller modeled after the old SNES controllers(should cost < $10), and then play your games on an emulator. You'll also have the advantage of the many graphical improvements that the better emulators provide.

4. JoshEE

JoshEE Agent

I got one of these and connected my ps2, xbox, and dvd player to my monitor. The highest resolution I can run without it getting blurry is 1280x1024, any higher and its hard to read. It works well for the price I paid.
    Here's the link
    Good luck
    -Josh

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

JamesH-

Emulators are legal, but ROMs are not, and are thus a taboo on HTF. We're not supposed to discuss them.

I would recommend just hooking your SNES to a TV. I'm not sure there will be any difference in hooking it up to a monitor that would make it worth doing.

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have my XBOX and GC hooked into my monitor using the ViewSonic VB50HRTV TV Tuner. It is actually an XGA scaler which accepts composite and S-Video connections. It also acts as a TV tuner and has a built-in passthrough for your monitor.
    Works like a charm and saves room in my dorm! [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, ROMs are legal for private use provided you own the cart. Since copy protection was not circumvented, you're OK under fair use (same with shifting CD to cassette for the car)

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read up on the law at some official game company site. The law says that you can obtain a ROM in one of 2 ways:

1) Buy it from the developer/publisher of the game
    2) Make it yourself

Otherwise, owning ROMs at all is considered illegal, even if you own the original cartridge.

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

That may be the game companies opinion. But I doubt a case has ever appeared in court on these specifics. If there is a specific section of the law that forbids such things, please post a link. Otherwise, it's up to the judge to make a ruling. I think you would have a pretty easy case to defend, at that point.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

It's not really worth it for Nintendo to go after someone for having a lot of NES Roms, but they can try to shut down a site with relative ease. I doubt there ever has been a case in court about such a thing, simply because it's not really worth it.

Also, some companies will allow their games to go into the public domain or people will make their own ROMs, so those are legal.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

"JamesH-

Emulators are legal, but ROMs are not, and are thus a taboo on HTF. We're not supposed to discuss them. "

You're the one who mentioned ROMS(and spawned some 8 posts concerning them), not me. Why would you tell me what's acceptable to discuss here when you're the one instigating the whole discussion?

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You mentioned emulators, and unless you have the appropriate cables and know-how to play catridge games that are connected to your computer without downloading their respective ROMs, I don't know how else you would use an emulator. If you suggest that someone could use an emulator on their computer, it would be assumed that you mean with illegal ROMs.