Connecting Seperate amps to a SR501 Onkyo.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rogozhin, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I found out what I'm getting for christmas (from my wife). Had to pay some hospital bills so my $800 budget has dropped to $230.

I had my choice of A/V recievers for under $230 so I chose the Onkyo sr501 for $190.

Now here is the dilema:

I have 3 NAD 218THX amps that I want to run (but the Onkyo only has one preamp out-the sub. What I was thinking was running a single rca to double rca splitter off the sub out to one of the 218THX bridged-this to my Shiva 12" in custom enclosure. My question with this is if the sub output from the ONkyo is tuneable-am I going to be able to cut it off at 60hz?

Okay Now I know I won't be able to use the other two NAD 218s but can I use one to drive my front mains if I run the audio out from the Video1 to the 218thx and then not connect the mains to the Onkyo?

AS I am envisioning this I'll only use the Onkyo to drive the rear surrounds and the center-will this work? Will it sound worse (since I'm using a combination of integrated amp and seperates) than using just the ONKYO?

thanks for your time fellas (and ladies).

[​IMG]

rogo

2. John S

John S Producer

The entry level Onkyo seems out matched by your other equipment, but with that said, after extensive installation, testing, and eval of the Onkyo SR-501, I must say, I think it would benefit greatly from being relieved from some of it amplification duties, with external amps.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can use speaker level to line level outputs to be able to feed these amps, however this is not ideal and since this is a recent receiver, you could proably sell it at a decent price and go pick up a 601, which I believe does have full preamp outs.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Also:

5. Rogozhin

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I decided on the HKavr225 instead of the 501.

I'm only going to use the sub linelevel out to a 218thx and will just have to start saving (hospital bills are deadly) for either a NAD or Outlaw PRE, and will just have to live with the 225.

I really appreciate all the feedback [​IMG]

thanks

rogo

6. Rogozhin

John G

I looked all over for the cheapest avr with preamp outs and it was a refurb pioneer for $300 but it was OS.

ONkyo's 701 has the preamp outs but it is beyond my budget [​IMG]

rogo

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Marantz SR5300 has full pre-out and can be had for $429 (refurb) from www.ac4l.com.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer