Connecting Samsung Equipment

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Leigh_Harringto, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Leigh_Harringto

Leigh_Harringto Auditioning

Hello,

Well i'm pretty new to all this stuff, so bear with me as i hope i'm in the right area for this. I have recently purchased some new Samsung equipment and i am trying to set it all up so as i can get the best out of all my equipment and am having a few problems getting a good picture through it all, so i figure i am doing something wrong.

The components i am trying to connect are:

Samsung Plasma PS-42S5H
    Samsung HDTV receiver DTB-H550F
    Samsung DVD recorder DVD-HR725

I am also trying to connect this to my amp, which is a Yamaha HTR-5840, but this is not too much of an issue as i can get the sound fine. The problem is i am getting a bad picture through the DVD recorder (snowy) so it won't record a good quality picture.

By way of cable setup, i have the aerial from the wall running into the set-top box and then have this connected to the plasma via component (Is this the best??). I then have an aerial connection running from the STB into the DVD recorder, which in turn, is connected to the plasma via HDMI.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i may be able to better connect all these up, especially so i can gain a better tv picture through the dvd to allow me to record.

My aerial conection seems to be fine, as the STB delivers a good picture direct to the plasma, and i can play a dvd in good quality from the recorder through the plasma, but can't get a good TV signal.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Leigh

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Everything seems to be in order, Leigh. I’d check the antenna cable between the STB and the DVD. Most of the time problems with pictures when antenna cables are used is traced to the cable, or it has bad connectors. Make sure the connections are tight – snug them up with a 7/16” wrench. If you’re using one of those cheesy push-on cables that come with the equipment, ditch it. Get one with screw-on F-terminals, or at least a push-on with a round spring at the end.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Leigh_Harringto

Leigh_Harringto Auditioning

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for the below advice. I went and bought a new cable yesterday and tried that, however it has made no difference. I think i'm going to have to pull all the cables out this weekend and try to set it up again from scratch.

I'm thinking that instead of running the component connections into the tv i should ditch that and run them into the DVD instead - will this make any difference?

Also, does anyone know if there is a good website that shows generic configuration diagrams, as the ones in the user manuals that come with the equipment i don't find too helpful.

Cheers.