What's new

Connecting RF Only TV (1 Viewer)

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting ready to help a friend hook up his new Onkyo and Sony DVD player. He has a 27" TV with RF only input. If I run everything through the receiver than I am relegated to using the VCR tuner for watching regular cable TV? I plan to use an RF modulator to take the video from the Receiver to the TV. That will render the TV tuner useless, will it not? I would think I would have to try and use some sort of A/B switch or something to still use the TV tuner. Any thoughts?

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
You are probably right. You would need an A/B switch to effectively use the tv's tuner but why? The vcr or cable box should do the job.

P.S. your friend would be much happier if you can talk them into a newer set.

Bill

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

The outboard modulator shouldn't render your tuner useless. It should just pass the tuned channel along whichever modulation channel (3 or 4) you have selected. As for the switch, most mod's are dual input (one RF and one A/V). The cheaper ones are manual select, but I used to use a $30 model from Rat Shack that was auto switching. Whenever I powered up the DVD, the mod would sense voltage at the A/V input and switch automatically. Pretty neat. Hope this helps.

-Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks