Connecting Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rob.melone, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Rob.melone

Rob.melone Stunt Coordinator

I have two Sony ES A/V Receivers. One is 10 years old (Dolby Pro Logic) and the other is a new DA4ES (Dolby Digital EX). I am using Energy's for HT and Magnepans for music and a Mirage sub. Both sets of speakers are currently connected to the 4ES with the Energy's set to A and the Magnepans to B (for stereo music). The Maggies sound good with the bass management of the 4ES but overall I prefer the stereo sound when they are connected to the 10 year old Sony. I am looking for a way to connect the two receivers so I can listen to stereo music through the Maggies from either receiver. Is this possible? I am trying to avoid using an A/B switch and all the associated wires.
    Thanks. Rob

2. Mauricio_BR

Mauricio_BR Agent

Rob,

You may use the pre-out to the front channels of the new Sony and connect them to a pre-in or one of the inputs of the old one. IN this case you´ll have the new one powering the front and surround channels and the old powering the front channels.

It´s widelly used when you have a receiver and an integrate (as a Rockan Kandy) for example.

Was it clear ?

Mauricio

3. Rob.melone

Rob.melone Stunt Coordinator

Mauricio, Thank you for responding.

If I understand you correctly, I should keep all speakers connected as they are (to the 4ES), use the pre-out front of the 4ES to connect to a line-in (e.g. CD input) of the old Sony. Note: There is no pre-in on the old Sony, only surround out. Once I do this, how do I set the receivers so I can listen to the Maggies (connected to B of the 4ES) through the old Sony?

Thanks.
    Rob

4. larryf99

larryf99 Auditioning

I also have two Onkyo receivers. What I want to do is connect them together, so that I have my speakers running out of the main receiver; then connect a second receiver so that I can listen to headphones (at the same time). [I am hard of hearing, and when I plug in head phones, it cuts off the speakers, so other people in the room can hear anything; so I am trying to rig two receivers to run the main receiver normally, connect it to a second receiver and use the head phone jack out of the second receiver. Ideas?