What's new

connecting pioneer receiver to subwoofer (1 Viewer)

rb26dett

Auditioning
Real Name
al
i have a pioneer vsx-9700s and a samsung subwoofer with nothing but a black and white/black stripped wire coming out and i wanted to know where do i connect them to the receiver. The receiver is a little old and doesnt have the sub woofer out. Do i connect them to the speaker red and black or what? really need some help here thanks in advance
e87cee30_receiver1.jpeg

ab2e5245_receiver2.jpeg

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The receiver is a little old
Little old? My VSX-4800 is approaching the 20 year anniversary of its purchase. Based on the Pioneer numbering scheme, yours is older.
Post a pic of your sub so we can be sure to give you the proper instructions.
Finally, your jumper for the center channel pre-out / amp-power-in is missing.

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
The subwoofer you have is most likely a Passive subwoofer, meaning it is not amplified. If it only has the one wire coming out of it than that means it hooks up like a speaker. I would hook it up to the Left channel on the B speakers. You probably will not get great Subwoofer effects from this sub since you will be using the left channel and not a subwoofer channel. My guess is that that subwoofer likely came from an all in one dvd/receiver system that was equipped with a subwoofer connection. So It should work, but won't be great.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it came from HTiB then it probably doesn't have a passive crossover in it. That means it will play the lower frequencies it was designed for as well as the higher frequencies it wasn't designed for.
If this is the case, then a sub amp with high-level inputs will power the sub while filtering the highs from the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks