What's new

Connecting PC to 50" Rear Projection LCD Display... Possible? (1 Viewer)

Jason Keis

Grip
While doing research I came across the Sony KF-50WE610 50-IN HDTV Grand Wega™ rear-projection LCD TV... dot pitch is .155 mm or something like that, which is great for computer use I think... (via the DVI)

SOoo... I began to wonder if I could use this as a computer monitor as well and was curious to know all of your thoughts... The monitor may have to sit back far away on my desk so it's not ON my face... but other than that... ?

Thanks.

Jason

PS If 50 is too big I can also go with the 42" option...

Jason Keis

Grip
While doing research I came across the Sony KF-50WE610 50-IN HDTV Grand Wega™ rear-projection LCD TV... dot pitch is .155 mm or something like that, which is great for computer use I think... (via the DVI)

SOoo... I began to wonder if I could use this as a computer monitor as well and was curious to know all of your thoughts... The monitor may have to sit back far away on my desk so it's not ON my face... but other than that... ?

Thanks.

Jason

PS If 50 is too big I can also go with the 42" option...

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Correct me if im wrong but, i always assumed that the only difference between an lcd tv and an lcd monitor was the tv tuner. I dont see why it would be a problem, people do this quite often. I use my 27" RCA tube as a secondary monitor to play pc games on and watch movies ive downloaded.

imo, Its not practical to use a standard def tv as a monitor because the resolution is so poor most text is too blurred to read. But a high def lcd should work beautifully.

edit.. just realized you are talking about an rptv, the only concern i would have would be screen burn in.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Correct me if im wrong but, i always assumed that the only difference between an lcd tv and an lcd monitor was the tv tuner. I dont see why it would be a problem, people do this quite often. I use my 27" RCA tube as a secondary monitor to play pc games on and watch movies ive downloaded.

imo, Its not practical to use a standard def tv as a monitor because the resolution is so poor most text is too blurred to read. But a high def lcd should work beautifully.

edit.. just realized you are talking about an rptv, the only concern i would have would be screen burn in.

Jason Keis

Grip
Rear projection LCD TVs don't have screen burn in.... or at least that's what Sony advertised...

Jason

Jason Keis

Grip
Rear projection LCD TVs don't have screen burn in.... or at least that's what Sony advertised...

Jason

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
LCD's do not have "burn-in" the same way a CRT-based RTPV does. Though some talk of pixels getting stuck, but you do not need to worry about phosphor wear of the CRTs, since obviously there are no phosphors being worn with an LCD.

Sure, you can use a TV as a monitor, just make sure you know what you are doing when you hook it up, and that as mentioned it's a high enough resolution to look good for computer use.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
LCD's do not have "burn-in" the same way a CRT-based RTPV does. Though some talk of pixels getting stuck, but you do not need to worry about phosphor wear of the CRTs, since obviously there are no phosphors being worn with an LCD.

Sure, you can use a TV as a monitor, just make sure you know what you are doing when you hook it up, and that as mentioned it's a high enough resolution to look good for computer use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks