connecting multiple tv's to one central unit

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dclarke963, Oct 3, 2006.

1. dclarke963

dclarke963 Auditioning

how's it going everyone?

i was wondering if anyone knows about some hardware that would be able to run multiple televisions throughout my house from one box

i have 8 televisions and 2 of them are over 50 inches(i dont need them all connecting, but i would like at least 4) and most are high def. what i would like to do is be able to wire them all to one machine so that i could also run a dvd player, xbox 360 and a cable box to it, that way i would be able to use them anywhere in the house, instead of having to buy a different set of hardware for each television. and if i could do it without losing signal quality, that would be fantastic

if anyone has anything that may be able to help, such as a good website or even a specific piece of hardware, i would greatly appreciate it

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I think this probably goes in "Tweaking, Connections, and Accessories". Assuming that you want to be able to feed each TV a separate picture, rather than having them all show the same thing at once, I believe that what you need is a "matrix switcher". This is usually a piece of broadcast equipment, but you should be able to get a small one which handles component video with enough bandwidth for HD without spending more than it would cost you to buy three or four X-Boxes ; they can be controlled in various ways, including via Ethernet or telephone. A Matrix Switcher has a certain number of video inputs (generally 4 or a multiple of 4 — big ones may have 64 or more), and a certain number of video outputs, which may be the same as or different from the number of inputs. It may also have audio inputs and outputs. The signal at each input can be applied, at any one time, to none, one, or more than one of the outputs. Then, of course, you would need to run cabling to each TV.