What's new

Connecting Multiple 5.1 Devices (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I saw something on the forums a while ago to solve this dilemma but couldn't find it again with the search function.

I need a solution for hooking up two sets of 5.1 cables to one 5.1 input. I want to connect my Pioneer 45A's 5.1 analog output for DVD-A's and I also want to hook up my Sony CE222-ES for SACD. Unfortunately, my receiver (Yamaha RV-1105) only has one set of 5.1 inputs.

Could this do the trick?:
Radio Shack Phono Y-Adapter

I'll be connecting everything with three sets of Monster M550i one meter cables (18 total). Will the y-adapter work? Is there a better, higher quality alternative? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-
Jimmy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you wanted some switching capability, the costlier solution is to buy 2 audio/video switchers from Wal-Mart or Targer, perhaps Radio Shack. Each switcher allows you to funnel 3 lines through it (usually 1 composite video input, and 2 audio inputs), and with a 5.1 setup, you need 6 lines, so 2 switchers would do the trick. Unfortunately, this is a $40 solution. I know that Wal-Mart offers the Magnavox 4-to-1 A/V switcher for around $20 each.

This is a similar device offered by Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1587

The y-connector solution would work as long as you are vigilant in only powering on one 5.1 source at a time.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Patrick. I'll look into your suggestions. My only real concern is risking signal degradation by passing it through a less than "audiophile quality" patch.

Thanks again-

Jimmy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot notice any difference with/without the switcher in the middle of the signal path. If there is any degradation, it's so minor that I cannot tell. My only issue with this solution is all the extra cables it adds to the back of my equipment rack.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have read that Y Cables are not a good solution, as it does weird things with the input impedance when both devices are connected.

I would think even worse things would occur if they were both on at the same time.

Two switch boxes seem pretty cheap in my book, and guarantied to not hurt anything. For a period of time, I ran a pair of MCM switch boxes, which are about the same price, but much more robust than the RS models. There is no difference in sound however.

But in the end its your choice, right?

BGL

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

The cables/connectors/switch box's act like speed bumps. Not an issue at 5 mph, but a big problem at 60 mph.

Audio frequencies are at the fairly low end of the frequency range compared to the RF signals from your CATV company, the Video signals or the Sat signals.

So you can find better built switch box's, but as long as the connectons to the RCA cable are snug and the box is made of metal or the internal circuits are shielded - even an inexpensive box should work.

I will do some research. You might try searching the "Recievers" fourm if you need a quicker response.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for all the responses. I've elected to go with the switchers Scott mentioned from Radio Shack. Now I'm just waiting for the cables to arrive from the west coast ( 6 sets of 1 meter Monster M550i's for $145 shipped vesus $321 from a local AV house- not too bad- It pays to shop around). I'll check back in once everything is up and running!

Thanks again everyone-

Jimmy

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Bob-

That is exactly what I'm looking for. However at that price I'm willing to risk a little signal degradation.

Thanks for doin' the research, though! Maybe we could start a Home Theater Forum fund drive for me? Any kind souls out there wanna help protect my sensitive ears from inaudible signal distortion? Anyone?

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks