Connecting MP3 player to HK 525

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisChap, Sep 26, 2003.

1. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

My HK 525 has an onboard MP3 decoder I would like to use with my Archos 20GB MP3 Jukebox. I have a couple of questions if anyone knows:

1. The manual mentions a PCM (?) adapter for hooking an MP3 player into one of the optical digital ports. Does anyone know what this is and where I can find this?

2. Is there such a thing as a USB to optical or digital coax adapter?

3. Is it necessary to connect the Archos to a PC via USB, or is there a way (other than using a mini to RCA adapter) to connect the player directly to the 525 to use the HK MP3 decoder?

I greatly appreciate any input!

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Just use a set of analog audio cables. There is little or no advantage to using the MP3 decoder built into the 525, which is only for connection to a PC, really.

3. ChrisChap

Thanks, but I am trying to use the 525's mp3 decoder. Do I have to connect a PC directly to the 525? If I do that aren't I using the PC soundcard's decoder instead of the 525's? Is there any advantage to using the 525 decoder instead of the soundcard's decoder or the MP3 player's analog mini jack?

4. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I think you soundcard will pass a straight MP3 signal and let your 525 decode it if you choose to do so.

What you can also try is the HK DAL 150. It works via the USB port and converts the signal to digital coax. I picked one up on Ubid for $20 brand new. They're on Ebay all the time also. Haven't tried it yet but I will shortly.
    http://www.harmankardon.com/category.asp?cat=CAL

5. ChrisChap

Thanks, Greg. I think that is what I was looking for.[​IMG]

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I don't know of any sound cards that will output the MP3 digital bitstream. PCM, yes, but that's already been decoded. The DAL-150 connects to a USB port and outputs either an MP3 bitstream, or a PCM bitsteam.

I'm not sure you'll be able to use your Archos Jukebox in this cofiguration, unless it shows up as a removable hard drive on your system. If it does, you should be able to use the DAL-150 software to access and stream the MP3 files on it.

But like I said, the benefit of doing all this is questionable. It's a lot more work, you won't be able to use the playlists you might already have on the Archos, and it really isn't going to sound much better anyway.