What's new

Connecting Monitor Speakers to Receiver (2 Viewers)

audiodummy

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy Le
I currently have an entry level Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package. While it is adequate for watching movies when I bought a Karaoke machine it was clear that I need better speakers. I went online and bought a pair of Yamaha HS80M Monitor peakers based on the good ratings I see and I intended to replace the L and R front speakers with these Yamaha speakers. When I received the speakers today, I immediately knew that I have a problem with the input.

Out Put from the Receiver:
1. The standard Output with Red and White RCA females
2. One RCA female labels "Monitor Output"
3. 1/4 inch phone jack

Available Input on the Speakers:
1. XLR type female (balanced)
2. 1/4 Phone Jack (TRS, balanced or unbalanced)

what is balanced and unbalanced?

What are my options?

Can I use this? http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Y-Cable-Cable-Cords/dp/B001LUXQ4A/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366952536&sr=1-7&keywords=xlr+y+1%2F4
basically 1/4 phone jack from Receiver to two 1/4 phone jack speakers. If I do this, the L and R will be the same, are they suppose to have different signals?

Or can I use this?http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-Store-Foot-Male/dp/B0026K8X7O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366954672&sr=1-3&keywords=xlr+rca
basically RCA male to XLR male, do I just connect the white output to one speaker and the red output to one speaker?

Which option is better for me? Or they are both wrong and there are better way?

Many thanks,
Jimmy

audiodummy

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy Le
OK, I ran to RadioShack and got a set of speaker wire to 1/4 adapters. My Yamaha HS80M speakers sound so awesome when I test them with an action movie.

However, when I used it for Karaoke, they sound too "True" the vocal doesn't blend in well with the music. The voice is so crisp and clear. Is this a speaker problem or my Karaoke machine problem?

Thanks,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would lean toward an issue with the karaoke "mix". I would assume these Yamaha are more efficient(louder at a given power amount) and probably extend deeper in bass over the speakers included with the 3500. Let alone the fact they use a better tweeter itself.

I have no idea how to tell you to "re-set the mix" in your karaoke...without knowing which one you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks