Connecting LD player to SVHS VCR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rino C, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Rino C

Rino C Agent

My SVHS VCR has 3D-Y/C comb filter while my LD player has 3-line comb filter. I was thinking about connecting the composite out of LD to VCR to take advantage of the better comb filter in the VCR.

However the video S/N of LD player is 51 dB which is much better than 47dB of my VCR. My question is how will this affect the playback of LD? Does video S/N has to do with color saturation or more to do with "noise" like specks in the video image? Even if LD has higher video S/N, will the resulting video output have 47 dB video S/N of the vCR since it's going through the VCR? Thanks.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hook it up two ways, at once if possible, which is very possible with so many Pioneer players that have 2 each of the basic outputs, set-up an A-B repeat sequences and compare. The signal should pass through your VCR pretty well. If your record the LD, then you will lose signal quality. S-VHS can't capture the colour detail of good Laserdiscs. S-VHS has the ability to save most of the detail but the colour is a problem.

In your comparrisons I suggest you include atleast one dark or night scene with plenty of inherrent noise. It's sometimes harder to discern differences on good looking, relatively problem-free scenes.

What player and VCR are you using?

3. Rino C

Rino C Agent

I have Sharp VC-S100U which has 3D-Y/C comb filter and DNR. I don't think it has TBC. My LD player is Pioneer CLD-703.

On my display, InFocus X1, the LD seems slightly sharper but the color seems off when fed through the VCR. I was wondering how the video is affected when fed through the VCR. Does the LD video spec "conforms" to the VCR video spec?