1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting LD player to SVHS VCR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rino C, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Rino C

Rino C Agent

My SVHS VCR has 3D-Y/C comb filter while my LD player has 3-line comb filter. I was thinking about connecting the composite out of LD to VCR to take advantage of the better comb filter in the VCR.

However the video S/N of LD player is 51 dB which is much better than 47dB of my VCR. My question is how will this affect the playback of LD? Does video S/N has to do with color saturation or more to do with "noise" like specks in the video image? Even if LD has higher video S/N, will the resulting video output have 47 dB video S/N of the vCR since it's going through the VCR? Thanks.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hook it up two ways, at once if possible, which is very possible with so many Pioneer players that have 2 each of the basic outputs, set-up an A-B repeat sequences and compare. The signal should pass through your VCR pretty well. If your record the LD, then you will lose signal quality. S-VHS can't capture the colour detail of good Laserdiscs. S-VHS has the ability to save most of the detail but the colour is a problem.

In your comparrisons I suggest you include atleast one dark or night scene with plenty of inherrent noise. It's sometimes harder to discern differences on good looking, relatively problem-free scenes.

What player and VCR are you using?

3. Rino C

Rino C Agent

I have Sharp VC-S100U which has 3D-Y/C comb filter and DNR. I don't think it has TBC. My LD player is Pioneer CLD-703.

On my display, InFocus X1, the LD seems slightly sharper but the color seems off when fed through the VCR. I was wondering how the video is affected when fed through the VCR. Does the LD video spec "conforms" to the VCR video spec?