Connecting Laptop to Receiver?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ShaanB, Mar 13, 2004.

1. ShaanB

ShaanB Extra

I am trying to connect the video and audio of my laptop to my denon avr1803. I have a composite video connection going to the laptop to the receiver and the audio is working fine but I am not getting any video.
    The tv has a s-video connection going to the receiver if that helps at all.

Does anyone know why the video wouldn't display on the TV?

(My main purpose for doing this is to record Winamp Visualizations while playing a mix of music.)

Please Help!!

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    My Sony laptop has to start with the composite video out connected to a cable or else it won't work. So try connecting the cable with the notebook off then power up.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would try going straight to the tv with it first, just to get the middle-man out of the way. Once you get it working that way you can run it through the receiver if you wish.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You might need to check and see if the laptop's display resolution is 800x600 or less for it to work on a TV.

5. Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker Stunt Coordinator

My limited experience has been that the receiver will only output composite video, if you feed it composite video. Likewise with svideo, but I've not seen one that converts between the two.

But, since I've only had 3 receivers it may not be definitive. Your receiver manual should alert you either way.

KT

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

My Outlaw 950 will convert composite to s-video (and vice-versa, I think).

7. ShaanB

ShaanB Extra

I am feeding the video to the ext in on the front panel. I just can't understand why the audio comes through but the video doesn't. It doesn't make sense to me.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

90% of non-audiophile priced receivers will not convert composite to s-video. That's the problem. There's a few out there, especially recently. (I bought a TX-SR601 to avoid this problem - it converts back and forth - many old game consoles). To avoid, you need to hook up composite output from your receiver to your TV if you can (my Zenith 27" only let me use one or the other).

Or you can find a cheap composite to s-video adapter, and feed composite to the adapter, into the receiver.