connecting HTPC to HDTV without vga in

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brad kl, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Brad kl

Brad kl Auditioning

What is the preferred solution? I am looking at purchasing a VGA > component adapter. (specifically the VHDC300 which I see is commonly for sale by users on this forum, or also the internet) Is that the best option for a TV without a built-in VGA input? I've read all the posts I could find on the forum when searching for the adapter.

I have a HTPC hooked to my HDTV using the svideo out on the Pc's video card. It works ok, and overall I'm happy with the quality, but even with the television's built-in progressive scan line doubler helping the picture quality, the resolution is limited, (and it suffers from some strange lines across the picture every 30 pixels or so, which I'm assuming are a result of the dated pc video card.)

Apologies, since this is my first post, and I'm sure this is a typical newbie question, but I looked through several pages of posts, and also didn't see any FAQ on the site which covered this particular issue.

thanks.

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

what resolution is your desktop running? you might consider reducing it some to help out with scan issues.

component is my personal preference. I don't use my HTPC for DVDs or the like (mostly games + compressed avi's), so I settle for the S-vid which is pretty good on my video card. also your video card may have a poor TV-out on it, which is common in many of the mainstream video cards, so the VGA->component would be a MAJOR improvement.

3. Robert Ross

Robert Ross Agent

I recently read an article about the new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, here's part of the article:

"The 9800 Pro also includes a couple of TV-output options--a standard S-Video out, and a component output option suitable for use with HDTVs."

So if you can afford the hefty $400 price tag, you could grab that. But if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, I'm not sure. I'm in the same boat you're in (HDTV with no VGA input), and have looked around for the longest time and still havn't been able to find any info on a good way of converting the signal. Good luck.

4. Brad kl

Brad kl Auditioning

thanks for the replies.

I'm running at 640x480, which is fine, but since I assume my HDTV can handle better, I'd like to get a better resolution once I build my new box (or maybe even before).

robert ross, I don't plan on spending $400 for a vid card, (I'm not that critical of the picture) but for about 50 bucks, I'm thinking this might be the way to go, if it's superior to Svideo out on most vid cards. which, since it would appear to support high resolutions, I would assume is.

I was just hoping some people here had some experience with this particular adapter, or some other methods which they preferred.